Anyone want a real cold air intake?

what intake would you be interested in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
Since I finished my rebuild I am working with a local fabrication shop to help design and build a nice cold air intake setup for the N/A guys. We have been kicking around a few ideas an want to know what you guys might want.
Either an aluminum upper tube to the afm then another tube through the snorkle hole for a filter under the headlight area. Or build a sealed aluminium airbox similar to the stock setup except large enough for your favorite cone filter.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Despite what the sellers of them say,
there is nothing 'cold' about an aluminum tube
that is exposed to the hot air off the radiator,
or the radiant heat from the exhaust manifold.
Aluminum transfers heat quicker than a rubber hose,
or a molded plastic pipe.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
gofastgeorge;1126409 said:
Despite what the sellers of them say,
there is nothing 'cold' about an aluminum tube
that is exposed to the hot air off the radiator,
or the radiant heat from the exhaust manifold.
Aluminum transfers heat quicker than a rubber hose,
or a molded plastic pipe.

While you are correct that it takes more energy per unit mass to increase the temperature of vulcanized rubber than that of aluminum the differance would be less than you might think. The specific heat capacity of vulcanized rubber much like the stock intake material is aprox. 0.35cal where as aluminum is about 0.22cal.
But I think that you might be missing the point. I am trying to bring a new product to the community and like any other product it must be a compromise between price, function, and appeal. While it is possible to make it out of more insulated materials due to initial cost and ease of production aluminum seems to be the he's material for this project.

jo7mge

ENIGMA
Jul 19, 2007
Anaheim
but what when you combine this alumin tubeing and you have a well ceramic coated header and a radiator with a heat shield then what? wouldnt it work to the advantage the vehicle

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
The header/manifold will rust fast if you wrap them....just do the intake only.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
one of the local guys here does powder coating and has just started getting in to ceramic coating exhaust and other stuff. I will most likely see what he has to offer for this project.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Haha, funny that this should come up. That's what I have for my intake, finally did it a few days ago. 45 degree bent 3" aluminum IC piping cut to fit from my TB to accordion hose, that hooked to the AFM with a 3" inlet AEM 5" dryflow filter. (hope you were able to follow that easily enough)
I plan on either buying VHT flameproof paint or ceramic coating (spray paint form) and coating my header, intake, and maybe the front pipe (pipe going from stock cat to header). Not sure bout that last one though

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
i was thinking about trying to make one like the one on my dads 87 5.0 mustang GT. its all in a sealed box and has a snorkel that goes down to below the fog light thats a has a big scoop thing. it works great. ill post pics of what i got in a little while. gotta get some pics first.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
RPSil13;1132652 said:
cant you just use an intake for a 1jz and slightly modify it, i think thats what im going to end up doing

Moy;1127516 said:
Haha, funny that this should come up. That's what I have for my intake, finally did it a few days ago. 45 degree bent 3" aluminum IC piping cut to fit from my TB to accordion hose, that hooked to the AFM with a 3" inlet AEM 5" dryflow filter. (hope you were able to follow that easily enough)
I plan on either buying VHT flameproof paint or ceramic coating (spray paint form) and coating my header, intake, and maybe the front pipe (pipe going from stock cat to header). Not sure bout that last one though

Neither one of you guys are talking about a CAI if your cone filter is exposed in the engine compartment.

91supran/a;1127597 said:
i was thinking about trying to make one like the one on my dads 87 5.0 mustang GT. its all in a sealed box and has a snorkel that goes down to below the fog light thats a has a big scoop thing. it works great. ill post pics of what i got in a little while. gotta get some pics first.

^^this is a CAI, with perhaps a little ram air action.