Anyone using aftermarket TPMS?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Going to need new shoes soon and I'm considering one. Anybody using the Hella TC400, PressurePro, Valet 9104, SmarTire, Orange Electronics, or Intercomp Digital for example? Or another brand? Search turns up next to nothing.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Although I don't use a tire monitoring system, I'd prefer the PressurePro over any of the others. I don't like how the sensors are mounted on the stem inside the rim on most of the others. To close to the edge of the rim, and I'd be concerned about a flat ripping it off. You'd have to get your tires rebalanced with any of them(sure you already know that).
I'm gonna look into that PressurePro system myself. Appears to be the best bang for the buck.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Thanks for the input cuel. SmartTire clamps around the center of the wheel so that'd solve a few concerns. PressurePro is spendy and I'm not sure I'll like the looks of the caps depending on how big they are. Whatever I go with it has to be a direct system as indirect isn't accurate enough for my taste.

Internal sensor stems seem to be how most of the OEMs are going it in order to comply with the new law. The battery issue may or may not be a hassle though. One reason I'm looking at those systems that only report when the wheel is rotating. There's a couple battery-less technology sensors in the works but they're not ready for aftermarket yet and when they are they're bound to be expensive.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Hella or Orange system with the TC400 having a slight edge. I dunno though. Need to do some more research.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The stock ('06)Ford sensors clamp in the center of the wheel as well. I had them removed from the wheels I have now. They used a big band clamp, and the sensor was glued in place as well.
I see what you mean about the sensors on the PP, they're .6 oz. each, and do look a bit bulky. I just did a quick search on each one, and didn't look closely at the prices. What I saw for the PP was just for the monitor. Turns out to be around $350. For that price I'd go with the Smartire instead.
Between the Hella and the Orange, I think the hella looks like the better unit according to Tire Rack. Curious about why its not recommended for cars with tinted windows, though.