anyone using a greddy type-s?

Ds650rida

Mar 19, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
I was using the greddy type-s bov on my 7m @ 9lbs, and am wondering if any 1jz guys use the same bov, i heard that they can only handle up to 15lbs of boost and the 1jz's boost @ around 18lbs. Was I mislead? Also, a very noob question, but how would i go about using an aftermarket bov, is there a stock bov that has to be removed and blocked off?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Ds650rida said:
I was using the greddy type-s bov on my 7m @ 9lbs, and am wondering if any 1jz guys use the same bov, i heard that they can only handle up to 15lbs of boost and the 1jz's boost @ around 18lbs. Was I mislead? Also, a very noob question, but how would i go about using an aftermarket bov, is there a stock bov that has to be removed and blocked off?

No they'll handle much more (the type-s).. friends RB25 is pushing 18lbs through a T04e and it still works just fine.

1J's boost is @ 10.8psi stock.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i never did like the type S

the gay little bottle rocket sound and on my 7M it leaked like a stuck pig.

Tial ftw but i like my SSQV

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
The Reaper said:

yeah I have a TiAL so thats most likely why I pretty much hate anything else.. Though I would like to try a SARD :biglaugh:

Last edited:

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
The Reaper said:

yes i agree. tial for the win, u can throw whatever u want at it and it takes it like a champ. i've seen em on cars running over 40 psi and they don't leak.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Depends on which BOV you plan to run.

If you use a BOV that sports a 1" inlet (the port that goes to your IC piping),
Then you can get away with using the stock port, with a short 1" hose and clamps.

If you decide to use an HKS SSQV, TiAL (FTW), or most of the GReddy BOV's that require an actual flange, then you'll need to be welding a flange to the IC piping, and the BOV will be strapped onto that.

What a lot of people do since 7M-GTE's run factory, with a recirculated Blow off Valve, Is...

Run a larger more appropriate BOV that's actually flanged onto the IC pipe, and then run a Bosch 103/110 (whichever it may be) in place of the factory one. Running a Bosch 110 BOV (which recirculates) will help with rich AFR's in between shifts.
This keeps the car from going uber rich when you come to a quick stop or shifting in between shifts, and prevents stalling & backfiring.

**ON A PERSONAL NOTE**
I've ran the HKS SSQV, TurboXS RFL, Bosch 110 and now the TiAL 50mm...
And I must say...

Once you got TiAL, there's no going back. :biglaugh:
With a handfull of boost (15+psi), this thing sounds amazing.
It's not ear piercing loud like a SSQV, but it has a very intimidating and 'head-turning' type of sound to it. Sounds amazing, and more importantly, will hold anything you throw at it.
It's a beast...especially with an 11psi spring. :)

-Jeff

Ds650rida

Mar 19, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
i will definatly go with the tial if i ever need to buy another bov. I will probly get a flange on my ic piping. and just let it backfire and leave it to the atmosphere to deal with, i'm used to driving the car that way.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
viperkillertt said:
What do you dislike about teh SSQV? I havent had any complaints with mine.

Have had a few friends that had them leak and I dislike the high pitched charge they give off.. Everyone has their preference though haha.

meet07

Nov 29, 2007
Wake Forest
When I get my 1j I will be running twin Hks. I went for a ride in a 2jz 600+ whp and he was running twins on 3" intercooler piping. Those Bov's where hella loud!! I loved it and wanted it since. I mean I have seen it in the magz and come to the conclusion that maybe the Greddy/hks cant handle high hp but putting 2 together helps alot. I have a greddy type-r and I like it. Its rated like 400+ I think.