Anyone seen this color MK3 before?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Is your car a JDM one, or an Aus-delivered unit? Australia/Europe didn't get the 7M-GTE until the 1988 model year (production starting in 08/87), however Japan had the 7M-GTE from day one, in fact Japan never had the 7M-GE in the Supra, ever.

The interior colour is a bit more rare, but it isn't so uncommon people don't know about it. It was used in Japan and export models from the get go in 1986.

From your serial number, your car was made in 09/1986 which would move it into the "1987" model year.

I don't recognize the paint. If you can post a picture of the data tag, it would be much appreciated! (For the model code, paint code, interior trim code, etc.). I'm pretty interested in it.

Jeff

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Friend has one dying a slow death up in the woods... I'm planning on picking up a fender and nose panel from it in the next week or two, I'll try and remember to snap some pictures.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Japan's Supras never had a 7M-GE Jeff? I was unaware of that. Not the first time I've seen something like that though, I think there was a similar thing with the FC Rx7's, but I can't remember specifically what it was.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Supra in Japan had a lot of engine choices, but the 7M-GE wasn't one of them. No reason to get a 200hp 3.0L engine when you can get a 200hp 2.0L engine (1G-GTE), as far as taxes go, you'd pay a lot less for the 2.0L.

So yeah, in Japan when someone refers to an MA70, they're almost always referring to a 7M-GTE-powered car.

Jeff

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
seems to be a jdm one , have the aus compliance plate.unfortunately it is unreadable :(

2qs40zn.jpg

2d6qkvb.jpg

compliance plate :

24qmfz5.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Definitely hard to read, any chance you can clean it up a bit? The engraving isn't all that deep on them, and enough dust tends to make them too hard to read...

Edit: Is there any other indication of color code? What about in the door jambs? I thought there was a plate in there too...

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Jeff Lange;1768717 said:
Yeah the picture is a bit too blurry to make anything out on it. :\

Jeff

its not just the photo , the actual etching is indecipherable, its too worn out

anyway heres the rear of the car

156savt.jpg

the front seats

awzvxd.jpg

the dash

i4inmu.jpg

2wf8wf9.jpg

and the front , just cuz i think she looks sexy..even with stock rims on

2irkjf8.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm seriously jealous of your dash... I know there are other options, but there's just something cool about 80's digi-dashes.

So, since nobody else has confirmed nor denied my posting about potential color code info in the door jambs, should I believe it isn't found there? I know my sticker was painted over, so... can't really check my car.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
te72;1769311 said:
I'm seriously jealous of your dash... I know there are other options, but there's just something cool about 80's digi-dashes.

So, since nobody else has confirmed nor denied my posting about potential color code info in the door jambs, should I believe it isn't found there? I know my sticker was painted over, so... can't really check my car.

well it isnt as accurate as the analouge and truthfully I prefer the analougue , just to many headaches with this one. Not working correctly as it is , have to pull it out and rewire it.

Sorry man , didn't read your post about the door jams , Il check when I get home today and post a pic if I find one.

Color is cool...has character to it , but the roof is faded, no rust really but in bad need of a respray.

I can't see myself ever selling this car....

Rickstar22

Rocker...Not Hippie
Feb 22, 2011
Graham-Puyallup, WA
From www.touchuppaint.org

1987 Toyota Supra
Super White Ii 040 - Buy Now White Prl Mica 042 - Buy Now Black 202 - Buy Now Black Met 204 - Buy Now Red Met 3H1 - Buy Now Beige Met 4G9 - Buy Now Med Brown Met 4H1 - Buy Now Blue Met 8D7 - Buy Now Lt Blue Met 8D8 - Buy Now Dk Blue Prl 8E3 - Buy Now Amethyst Silver Met 920 - Buy Now

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
aloshan;1772532 said:
scrubbed the plate down, this should be of some major help. it reads :
model ma70r bjpvfq
engine 7mge
colour trim 920 fd12
trans axle a340e g285
plant built a53

te72;1756200 said:
Looks like color code 920 to me...

Haha, I called it! :)

Sorry about the dash troubles man, I can see that being a headache, but at least you rhd guys got the choice...

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
aloshan;1769412 said:
well it isnt as accurate as the analouge and truthfully I prefer the analougue , just to many headaches with this one. Not working correctly as it is , have to pull it out and rewire it.

Sorry man , didn't read your post about the door jams , Il check when I get home today and post a pic if I find one.

Color is cool...has character to it , but the roof is faded, no rust really but in bad need of a respray.

I can't see myself ever selling this car....

They certainly grow on you.

Great car! Not a fan of the digital dashes, myself.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
aloshan;1755165 said:
My VIN is MA700036686. I don't know how to extract a colour code from that...

Your car came with the 7MGE not the GTE. 71 or 70 is the series, 71 being turbo. Just an FYI. Yes, I have seen that color.