Anyone Running an HKS F-CON V PRO on a 7M?

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
If you are, I have some questions for you.

1. Who installed/tuned it for you?

2. Are you running it as a Piggyback to the OEM ECU?

3. Other then the unit, custom harness, and tuning what else was required to get it running. Especially if you had to make changes to your engine setup, i.e. ignition, CPS, etc.

4. If you have Emissions Testing in your area, have you had your setup successfully pass?

5. What other accessories are you using with the V Pro (HKS A/F Knock Amp, F-CON Navigator, etc)?

I have read about some MKIVs using it and there is an SM member here that has it on his 1JZ. I am seriously exploring this route, but wanted to see who else is running it and their experience with it, before I started making phone calls for more information.

Thanks in advance for your time.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
In our cars there would be zero need to run it as a piggy back as we do not have anything (A/C, Radio, Dash) tied into the OEM ECU via CANBus.

The HKS F-Con v pro should be a PnP affair for the dealer. Just keep in mind that once tuned, the user can not tune it (and in my opinion that is a GOOD thing).

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
comadreha said:
I have read about some MKIVs using it and there is an SM member here that has it on his 1JZ.
He's running it on a 1.5JZ now........ ;)

If you are serious about it, talk to Reg Riemer www.monsterhorsepower.com

It's going to be a custom install, as there was never a PnP 7M harness, but he can do it. He also has a boat-load of experience doing 2JZ V-Pro tuning as well as 7M Techtom tuning. If there's ANYBODY in North America that can V-Pro a 7M, it's him. His installation of choice is the V-Pro/Knock Amp combo. He'll even give you a money-back guarantee on the whole package if you're not happy with it. (to date, not a single person has returned one)

As for extras, besides a knock amp, he'll most likely install a MAP sensor, run it in MAP mode, and use factory everything else. And yes, he can make it pass emissions.

Careful of the sticker shock......

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Gents, thanks for the replies.

figgie said:
In our cars there would be zero need to run it as a piggy back as we do not have anything (A/C, Radio, Dash) tied into the OEM ECU via CANBus.
I did not know that. Good info.

figgie said:
The HKS F-Con v pro should be a PnP affair for the dealer. Just keep in mind that once tuned, the user can not tune it (and in my opinion that is a GOOD thing).
Yup, that suits me best. I am a "set-it-and-forget" guy, so being locked out of the device is fine by me. I know the V-Pro supports up to 4 dealer tuneable fuel maps (91/93 octane, race fuel, etc) which can be selected by setting dip switches on the unit or using the F-CON Navigator. This is as close as I need to come to "tuning" the unit.
QWIKSTRIKE said:
The only downside is the cost they charge to tune the damn thing.
I agree, but for now I am willing to pay to drop the car off and have someone else take care of making the V-PRO device work as well as the OEM ECU to control the essential/normal engine operations and allow me to take advantage of current and future engine modifications. If I plan out my future modifications schedule efficiently, I can minimize the amount of time and money spent at the HKS tuner for device adjustments to account for new engine mods.
annoyingrob said:
If you are serious about it, talk to Reg Riemer www.monsterhorsepower.com
I'll do that. I have also opened up a dialog with SP Engineering over here in Cali. There is also an SF member that goes by obiwan which tunes the V-PRO also. He travels quite a bit and if I am reading his Calendar correctly, he is scheduled to be out in the Orange County, CA area in June 2008.

The A/F Knock AMP/V-Pro combo seems like the ticket. That it can auto-tune the V-PRO for a set A/F Ratio seems like a nice feature. I have to read more about it. I'll be asking lots of questions.

Last edited:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It has a lot more than combinations than just 4 fuel maps. It can also overlay additional maps ontop of those 4 maps, making for a lot of combinations :)

BTW, they also have external dials that you can purchase to hook up to the V-Pro. They are software programmed to do just about anything (like table switching, etc). I have mine programmed to adjust the RPM of my 2-step for example.