Anyone put a diesel engine in a Supra?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
So me and some of the guys I work with (I work for Cummins) kicked around the idea of a diesel in a Mk III chassis. My thoughts are that size/weight would be the major issue, along with finding a suitable driveline. Also reinforcing the chassis to handle that kind of torque would be another consideration. Still, it would be kind of cool/unique.

I briefly (by briefly, I mean about 10 minutes) considered the idea, then did a quick google search and found that this would simply not be feasible at this point in my life. Still, one can dream. The engine I would consider strongly would be a Cummins QSB 4.5. For size, it would likely fit as far as length and width go, but the height may be questionable. I don't know how it compares in weight to a 7M, but I would guess its on the heavier side. I didn't consider much beyond that simply because just cost of just the engine is more than I have in my Supra so far.

Still, I'm curious if anybody has attempted to put a diesel in a Supra before? How did it work or did they have any success? Or would this be complete blasphemy?
-AM3

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Toyota made a turbo diesel for 4 runner an hilux I think. But it only made 133hp iirc lol.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
IJ.;1820430 said:
I kicked around the idea at one point but it's a LOT of mass over the front axle and you'd need compound turbo's to get a reasonable output.
That was my big concern as well, just too much weight in the front.

@onemancrew: I was serious about it for about ten minutes, lol. But two main concerns shot it down. Weight as stated above. Anything small enough, and you won't get enough power/torque for it to be worthwhile. Anything with enough power and torque, and it will be too heavy. The other was the cost. A QSB 4.5 in usable condition is over 7K, new they're closer to 12K. But maybe someday I can overcome this, who knows what the future holds.
-AM3

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
Doesn't BMW use diesel performance engines?? I think they make massive amounts of power and also good fuel consumption?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Powerband is quite different, would need to gear it differently...

I've thought about it, but it's a lot of work. A truck diesel is too heavy, and most of the smaller diesels are either unavailable here, or finicky and expensive (like VW stuff).

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Last edited:

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Not only would you have a weight problem. You would have to completely replace the entire fuel system to work with a diesel. So best to stay away from a diesel setup at least, in my own opinion.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1820430 said:
I kicked around the idea at one point but it's a LOT of mass over the front axle and you'd need compound turbo's to get a reasonable output.
I had briefly thought about it, weird ideas happen when you have shells lying around... but then I remembered that I have yet to have a diesel keep up with my measly 12psi 2.5 liter "rice burner" as the diesel guys like to call them. :)

IndigoMKII;1820479 said:
I was just tossing this idea around on friday. Take the 12v 5.9 out of a mid 90's 2500/3500 ram and try to squeeze it in.
You'd need an awfully big hammer to do that, those engines are TALL.

Not to mention, as it's been said, stiffer springs up front to deal with all the extra weight. In my eyes, it would capsize your handling, which to me is every bit as important as the power.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprayo;1821602 said:
400 more lbs in the front wouldnt be too bad. replace the hoods and fenders you could shave off a good chunk of that.
Take off the entire front bodywork and you've saved yourself less than 100 lbs...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I know to each their own and all, but I love to hear an engine SING... all I've heard a diesel do (and I do hear a LOT of them, they're probably at least 20% of the vehicles on the road here), growlllll...shift, growlll, shift, growl some more, shift... on to an amazing speed of 45mph through three whole gears.

Perfect engines for trucks, SUV's, off road, BIG cars, etc... but a sporty/GT car? I'll pass.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
te72;1821960 said:
I know to each their own and all, but I love to hear an engine SING... all I've heard a diesel do (and I do hear a LOT of them, they're probably at least 20% of the vehicles on the road here), growlllll...shift, growlll, shift, growl some more, shift... on to an amazing speed of 45mph through three whole gears.

Perfect engines for trucks, SUV's, off road, BIG cars, etc... but a sporty/GT car? I'll pass.
You're listening to the wrong diesels then, lol. Someone I work with has a modified Ram and he completely destroyed a turbo Supra the other day.
-AM3