Anyone Know Where My Spark Went???

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
I just had my engine put back together, and it was having trouble starting and would stall very easily. I figured it was my MAF because when I would try to start it with it plugged in it wouldn't start and it drove nicer without it but it still wouldn't get above 3k rpms. I figured I would drive over to the nearest advanced auto parts to see if they could use their meter to see if I get any codes and they didn't have one. So, on my trip back home the car is trying to die. It wouldn't go above 40 and every time I changed gears it would shut off and come back when I engaged the gear. I pulled over to the side of the road to let it sit for a bit and then check later if it was all right and now it doesn't start.

I also noticed oil had leaked in spark plug chamber from the valve covers. I then had them sealed up properly and got it running. After getting it home I took it apart and realized then that my cylinders had horrible amounts of oil, my spark plugs were covered in oil, the spark plug wires were disfigured. So I cleaned out all the oil (to the best of my ability) changed the spark plugs and wires and nothing. Thats when I went to check the ignition.

I tested the igniter, CPS and a million other things and it lead me back to checking the spark plugs. I pulled the number 1 spark plug and held it to the ground and no spark. Whats wrong?

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
OK I took out my CPS and put it back in and I'm getting a spark. BUT car is still not starting. I hear fuel running through my rail so I would imagine I have a spark and fuel. Also I checked for codes and light is not flashing...what gives??

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'd still double check and make sure you're getting propper pressure to rule that out diagnostically.

It's kind of curious that you're getting oil in all of your cylinders...were you blowing blue smoke out the back on your drive? Is your PCV hooked up properly? Did you check the condition of your valve seals while the engine was apart? Rings put in properly? Just throwing things out there, cause you're getting a LOT of oil in the cylinders if that's the cause of your no start.

Check all the other regular timing problems too. Make sure your CPS is lined up properly, cam gear marks are at top when the dampener shows TDC.

Also, for future reference. Checking codes is easy to do as long as you have access to a small piece of wire, paperclip, whatever. Follow the instrutions here:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
Oil leaked into my spark plug wells because the valve covers weren't installed properly and leaked in. After I took out the spark plugs the oil dropped into the cylinders. After I tried to clean the oil out of the cylinders no new oil has shown.

As for testing for codes, Before I took out the cps and put it back in I was getting a flashing light which according to tsrm signals no codes. Once I reinstalled the cps properly and started getting a spark and tried to check for codes again its not blinking anymore. Thats not one of the codes...is it?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If it's not blinking at all the connection isn't good on your jumper. It's gonna blink, regarless if you have codes or not if you're jumpering it properly ;). It should be pretty clear what the flashes are if it does have a code. Let it go for a good 15 seconds or so just to make sure you're not seeing a 5* code with the flashes and turn it off before it finishes :)

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
Ok its blinking again (cut a new piece of wire) which is good...right? Now I try to start it up again and it sounds like my battery is dying...which it might very well be.

About the fuel...My fuel pressure regulator has a pressure gauge and thats what I read.