Anyone know of software to eliminate vocals?

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
not gonna happen... unless you can find a file that has each component of the song layered individually, which none of your songs are going to be.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Think of it as kraft singles (the cheese slices) The recording studio stacks up a pile of 5 of them, melts them, and serves it to you as a whole lump of cheese, there is no way to get the layers back because its all one piece.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
GotTurbos? said:
Think of it as kraft singles (the cheese slices) The recording studio stacks up a pile of 5 of them, melts them, and serves it to you as a whole lump of cheese, there is no way to get the layers back because its all one piece.

Amazing Jon:biggrinki

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Christ you guys have some faith. I had a free version of some editing software that took out 95% of the vocals on my old laptop. I can't find it now and I gotta go to work, but I'll search later.

You may not be able to remove ALLLL the vocals, but you can definitely get almost all of them out.

Its actually pretty simple. The vocals are centered on every song. So the software compares left and right and removes the sounds that occur on both sides exactly evenly.

There is also a stereo filter that is a device my guitar teacher used all the time that plays only a narrow range of the stereoband. So if the guitar is 30% left, you set it to that and all you hear is the guitar. Some stuff is layered better than others, so low-budget studio recordings might not work, but its still impressive.

You guys are so negative, jeez. ;)

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Yes they all work to a certain extent...some better than others.
Only problem is output quality. The issue with phasing out layers that are centered is that a lot of the bass tracks are all recorded Left Right equal so it will also get phased out. As well as many drum components. Hi hats, symbols, toms are usually recorded on their respective sides, but unfortunatly the snare and bass drums are usually centered. But if all youre looking for is a way to get rid of vocals for non recording purposes, these will do the trick.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
As for the cheese metaphor.... well lets just say I'd never use it ;)

Matt, what are you looking to do?
How much of the vocals do you need removed?
Does the output quality need to be high?

We need more info.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
suprarx7nut said:
As for the cheese metaphor.... well lets just say I'd never use it ;)

Matt, what are you looking to do?
How much of the vocals do you need removed?
Does the output quality need to be high?

We need more info.
I'm just looking to get the lyrics removed from some of my metal songs, so it's just instrumental. High quality would be preferred.

-Matt

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
You could probably do your best to remove the vocals, and double it up along with sending it thru a parametric equilizer, but again...you are going to lose most of the bass lines and a lot of the drums in the process. It could be cleaned up, but it will be missing a lot more than just the vocals.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
If anyone had a Sega Saturn, it had some fun little tools for audio cds. One of them was to remove vocals, it didnt do the best job but it can be done.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well the quality is the hard part. I still can't find what program i had before that worked well. I have a karaoke setting on my sound card that works amazingly well, but I dont know how you could get it without a creative soundcard.

google's first result for "removing vocals" yeilds some useful info. Like the others said, retaining the quaility is the hard part and will vary GREATLY depending on the software used. I think Sound Forge works among the best.

I just used audacity and it removes about all the vocals, but the quality is definitely iffy.

Get on AIM if you want some examples from me.