Anyone know a good place in the NE to rebuild my diff?

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
In PA preferably, but I'll take anywhere in the NE.

At least one of my bearings are shot (per this transmission place...and the noise that I constantly hear coming from the rear ;)). This shop already has my diff out and they'll replace the bearings but aren't keen on doing a total rebuild. At this point, I prefer a total rebuild. It's a 3.73 w/ 106K on it.

I spoke to Jawsgear in CA and they'll ship me one (rebuilt including new clutch packs, etc), but it takes a week to get here via UPS ground. Then I have to ship back my core for a core refund.

I'm new to the PA area and have zippo contacts out here so far. I looked online but haven't come across a place that makes me feel secure in their work.

Thanks.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
iceberg319;1336061 said:
How much was the jawsgear quote?

Where in PA are u?

Jawsgear wants $900 + $200 refundable core + $90 shipping (UPS Ground). Thats for a rebuilt 3.73 LSD including new bearings, seals, clutches, and solid spacers.

I'm in Shawnee right near the water gap and e. stroudsburg.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
OneJArpus;1336080 said:
900 for a rebuild stock lsd? CRAZY you can get an aftermarket one for that =O oh well lol

Good point and I have been looking into that option too, but am having a hard time deciding what I should get. The Torsens look great on paper but I've read quite a few posts complaining about their reliability. I've looked at some others like Cusco, TRD, and Kaaz.

My main goals are to have a moderate hp car mainly for street use (I'm currently at 357 rwhp and would like to jump into the mid 400 range in the next few years). The Kaaz seemed to be overkill and would sacrifice some street comfort/drivability. I can't figure out what the advantage of the TRD or various Cusco models are (I'm new to the differential scene).

If I could get an aftermarket one that is better than stock but not sacrifice much in terms of noise/drivability, I'd seriously consider it. Do you have any suggestions?