Anyone in Texas w/ Test Pipes have problems with the Police?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Is there anyone in Texas running test pipes, that are having problems with the cops? I want to run one as its cheaper than a Hi Flow Cat with my HKS DP and Tanabe SHM but I don't want to get pulled over for them to check and me end up with a ticket but how safe will I be? (Yes I know its illegal, but it won't be "look at me" loud. I just want to know if anyone in texas has had problems with the Police.

Thanks
~JDMMA70

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
I may not be in Texas, but I'm in CA aka. Car Nazi Land. To this date, I haven't had a problem with the police yet. I'm running stock turbo and elbow, HKS DP, and 3" piping to a Megan M-GT Muffler. no cats. I bet it's louder than your Tanabe SHM. :aigo:

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
I don't run a cat with my 3" apexi ni exhaust. The only thing is that you will have to get used to the smell of raw fuel somtimes. With my experiance I havnt noticed a differance in a change in sound by running no cat.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
up in mass, the cops suck. got pulled 4 times in 4 days, just for it being loud. wasn't speeding or being reckless or anything. so i welded the heatshield around my test pipe.

speaking about gutting cats. try talking about that in public. people hear "yea, i gutted my cat last weekend..." and you get some pretty disgusted looks. haha

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
mischief7m;1004653 said:
speaking about gutting cats. try talking about that in public. people hear "yea, i gutted my cat last weekend..." and you get some pretty disgusted looks. haha

Lmao :biglaugh:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
never had a problem in the 3 years i have been running mine. bro doesnt run one either as of about 1-2 years ago. even if you do get hassled by the fuzz and get a fix it ticket just slap on the cat and show up that its been fixed.

the main times it seems to be a problem is at car meets when they check and when they have the emissions check stations on the side of the road. easy fixes for those are do as grim says and put the shield on the test pipe and shut off your car and coast through the check station like i do.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
MKIIINA;1005336 said:
never had a problem in the 3 years i have been running mine. bro doesnt run one either as of about 1-2 years ago. even if you do get hassled by the fuzz and get a fix it ticket just slap on the cat and show up that its been fixed.

the main times it seems to be a problem is at car meets when they check and when they have the emissions check stations on the side of the road. easy fixes for those are do as grim says and put the shield on the test pipe and shut off your car and coast through the check station like i do.

rofl, awesome.. I would laugh to see that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
they have the same idea in japan it seems...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487776

Anyway, there is MINIMAL gains in running a test pipe compared to a good STOCK cat. Hell a high flow cat will be even better.

The dyno tests of a test pipe compared to a cat where about 2HP, which is enough variation to be the temp changing, or the engine getting heatsoaked on the dyno, or even the dyno's sensativity.

It's a mute point, run a cat, the people behind you at a meet with their targa off will appreciate it...