Anyone here a cable technician?

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Just recently I got a new job as a salesman for AT&T - and I am going door to door trying to sell people the new UVERSE service that AT&T is offering... the service itself is amazing but it just really isn't my ideal line of work - it was a job and I figured I am better off doing this as opposed to nothing.

Anywho, just the other day I got an e-mail from AT&T about another job that I had applied for at the same time as I did the sales job. The one I was e-mailed about was to be a service technician - basically to be the guy to set up the new cable service that I am actually selling right now, haha.

However, there is an entrance exam that I gotta pass in order to qualify for the job. I know electronics really well and everything as far as cars go, but don't really have much experience with household electricity and the sort. Nor have I ever installed cable of any sort from start to finish. I know that a lot of the job is installing the cable box up to the TV's and probably installing internet modems as well - which I am comfortable with because I have had to do a lot of that already by myself.

Basically, I am looking for some advice from someone who has been there, and done that... what all do those entrance exams cover? What do I need to know? Do you enjoy your job? That sort of thing.

I am currently working in the Nashville area, just to throw it out there - so if anyone knows of any jobs let me know! I may already "have" a job but it is strictly commission and sales can be tough at times (even though this new service really is amazing and cheaper than all the competitors - it is still tough to break the ice with people in order to make a sale).

Thanks in advance! I will be signing up to take that test soon, so I hope to hear something quick.

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
What's AT&T use, twisted copper pair or coax cable? Either way, it's easy shit to do as far as setting their service up...

I do cable repair for Bell up here in canada - Basically maintaining all the infastructure, chasing faults in buried and aerial cables, manholes etc etc - Ideally you'd want to move up to doing that as installs are boring and nothing but BS dealing with customers all the time. Not sure what they pay at AT&T but I know my position down in Tampa for Verizon would only pay 55k/yr top rate which isn't the greatest

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
AT&T here has been using fiberoptic cables on their newest cable setups and I would imagine they run regular telephone lines for their basic telephone services.

As far as pay goes.... 55K a year would be more than enough for me at the moment, I am single... so yeah.