Anyone heard of Gang Japan?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Just wondering if anyone has heard of this company. The only thing I know about them is that they were around in the late 80's and made auto electronics.

I found one of their products strapped to my ECU while rewiring knock sensors over the weekend. Niether of the 2 previous owners I've talked to (at length) about the car mentioned the box, so I'm assuming it's from the original 87-98 owner.

From the way it was wired, I'm assuming it to be a twofold product(?).
1) speed limit cut (tapped into IDL and intercepting SPD)
2) boost limit cut (intercepting KS from the AFM)

Attachments

• blackbox.JPG
    blackbox.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 34
  • wiring.JPG
    wiring.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 21

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Interesting...a combo FCD and speed limit defender. The FCD is fairly common in the US...the SLD is not. It's only used on JDM ECUs to eleminate the speed limit built in that ECU. Kinda useful if you are using a JDM ECU to get around the EGR requirement and don't want your top speed limited.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Well, I don't know it to be both, I was just going on the way it's wired. I still have a USDM ECU and my EGR system.

It's wired like:
SPD -> (Box) -> ECU
KS -> (Box) -> ECU
IDL -> (Box & ECU)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Since it's connected to the SPD pin-out, it's highly likely it's both. The HKS FCD only requires and in/out from the AFM, RPM, and gnd/pwr.

Having the SLD part of the device wired in is not going to change much (if anything) on a USDM ECU...the original owner probably got it for use as a FDC. You need to be careful with that part since it eliminates fuel cut. It makes it easy to blow your motor if you crank the boost up too much.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I removed it already since I have no plans on going 110+ and by the time I'm reaching fuel cut I'll have all the supporting mods.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
jdub;1166182 said:
Mark the wires...you might want to sell it at some point ;)

My thoughts exactly, but I was hoping someone might have more info on this thing. My google searching by name brought up some raunchy stuff and model # didn't pull anything.

The only wire that isn't already wired in its harness(87-88) just connects to IDL.

It is in good condition, I'd just like to know for sure what it is before selling it. (even though there are now 2 of us that think it's an SLD/FCD based on the wiring)