Anyone gonna get this?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I wouldn't be upset if my old lady decided to get one of those instead of a MkIV, but I have no intentions of buying one myself, despite a love of cars like this. At this altitude, 200hp is just NOT enough, even with that sort of weight. :nono:

Plus, for the money... I'll get myself an NSX. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
While I like the car (a lot) I think it's not going to be a contender until they add forced induction to it. They're comparing it to the Miata, but in that price range you have the Mustang, Genesis Coupe...

Not a big fan of the Mustang, but the Genesis Coupe would shit all over this car sadly :(

(yes the Genesis Coupe is heavier)

I just dunno yet, I want the car to succeed (since Toyota really needs to get back to making cool cars again), but I don't think it's enough to beat out the competition right now.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
Poodles;1836350 said:
While I like the car (a lot) I think it's not going to be a contender until they add forced induction to it. They're comparing it to the Miata, but in that price range you have the Mustang, Genesis Coupe...

Not a big fan of the Mustang, but the Genesis Coupe would shit all over this car sadly :(

(yes the Genesis Coupe is heavier)

I just dunno yet, I want the car to succeed (since Toyota really needs to get back to making cool cars again), but I don't think it's enough to beat out the competition right now.

I completely agree, what upsets me is the fact that im pretty sure subaru confirmed they will be releasing an sti version of the brz but toyota has not for the FR-S, I think toyota is being way too conservative.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
k20maniac;1836390 said:
I completely agree, what upsets me is the fact that im pretty sure subaru confirmed they will be releasing an sti version of the brz but toyota has not for the FR-S, I think toyota is being way too conservative.

toyota may hold back and see how the sti version does in sales before they turbo the frs.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Frankly, IF I were in the market for a NEW car (and ONLY new cars), I would buy one, if only to tell the manufactures of modern cars "fuck your crossover boring bs, I want THIS."

That said, my ONE sale is unlikely to sway any marketing decisions, especially for big manufactures. I want them to sell like lemonade on a hot day, even if it does mean I see them everywhere. I'd be ok with that. Better than seeing YET another Mustang around here... I have YET to see even ONE Genesis (arguably the only competition in the mid-size sport car market that isn't a Camaro) anywhere in Wyoming. However, let's talk apples to apples here.

Apple # 1 = Miata.

Apple # 2 = FR-S.

Realistically, these are the only two cars in this class. Given the weight of the Mustang and Camaro, neither of them is going to have the handling dynamics of either of these cars. Sure, they might hold alright on a skidpad, but ONE number does NOT equal the whole car. Neither does horsepower. I used to pick on Mustangs with my 105whp 2000 Miata. Given the gearing, weight advantage, and the fact I'm not half bad at driving, I could pretty easily keep up with the GT guys. Throw some corners in the mix, and it wasn't even a contest. "Normal" spirited Miata driving would be akin to suicidal driving in a Mustang/Camaro, both then, and I suspect still now.

Now, I figure the FBRZS will handle every bit as well as the Miata, possibly even better. Don't count Mazda out though, the ND is well into the planning stages. Can the market support two cars of this nature (three if you count Subaru's version) for long? I doubt it, given how few Miatas I see anymore, and how many of SameHighun-Interestingcar Thatpeopledontwanttocallawagon (known in this acronym loving world as a SHIT) cars I see every day... We'll see.

All that said, every single one of us NEEDS this car to succeed. If it doesn't, the reasonably sized (seriously, park a Supra next to a newer "sports" car), fun to drive car will likely make way for that ugly something-or-other in your neighbor's driveway...

Edit: You may think I hate crossovers, I really don't. It's the proportions that kill me. Take a Ferarri, a Supra, a Corvette, take ANY cool looking car. Now lift said car about 8" higher than it should be, and magically, you've made a "crossover". Our grandparents (and parents) had wagons, and what was wrong with them? I'd take an old wagon (the more Griswold-y, the better) before I would EVER let a crossover into my garage. You'd have thought that one look at the Aztek would have killed that idea...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Toyota has said they don't want to hurt the response of the engine, so they'd be going with a supercharger if they did boost it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Small enough turbo will have plenty of quick response, ever driven a stock Z31? Hard to tell they're even turbocharged... Still, makes me wonder how they're only getting 200hp out of 2.0l with that high of compression.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
It appears we're going to be able to pick our poison. Provided US emissions regulations don't knacker the whole deal. You saw how much trouble Ford had getting the Boss Mustang Red Track Key passed.

Turbo:Subaru
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...bocharged-version-of-brz-engine-ar121079.html

Supercharger: Toyota
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...th-trd-supercharged-already-in-the-works.html

It looks like the two camps, turbo vs supercharger, will have an apples to apples comparison using near identical production cars. I myself am interested but I'm going to wait a few years to see what these cars turn into and if I'm still interested. Then I will seriously consider buying one. Hopefully it doesn't get price bloat like the GT-R is seeing.

I personally don't want this car yet. Maybe after a few years of it coming out and seeing what toyota is going to add to this car. This car has a lot of potential but it all depends on how they sell. If this car becomes a hit I'm pretty sure Toyota will soon add either a turbo or a supercharger to the car. When they do, I wouldn't mind getting this car. If only it came with 250-260hp now then I would totally get it. Plus I love the high revving engines.