Anyone ever used the Driftmotion lightened pulley set for 1jz?

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
I was just wondering whether I'd have any issues with it? I read alot about the harmonic dampener and was just curious before I go ruin my engine swap

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
The kit you're describing, is it the one with the aluminum waterpump, alternator, and power steering pulleys? If so I have these three pulleys on my 1jz and they seem to work great. Although I do not have any experience with the harmonic dampener I have faith that the quality will be more than adequate coming from DM.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i have one but i've never used it... i talked to aaron and he says he runs them on all his cars and he never had problems with it, i've also talked to others who run under drive pulleys without the harmonic balancer and they dont have problems as well.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Any crank pulley besides an OEM unit, and ATI is crap. You MUST have a dampened pulley, and those are the only two options available.

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
there are so many threads and issues about how bad these underdrive pulleys are, but no one has any proof of how harmful they are. i personally bought and installed the underdrive pulley from driftmotion and i have no problems or complaints about it.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
How long you run the pulley set ups? I heard the damage is caused further down the road by slightly higher vibration, I bought a kit with all the pulleys but im looking at the ATI one because all my pulleys were bent or split so the crank pulley is temp.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
fwiw I've had all of them including the crank pulley on my drift car for like 6 months beating the hell out of it with no ill effects. I understand the thinking involved here but I'm waiting to see some damage.

If I can find a good pulley that won't overdrive my accessories I'll probably go for it. But at least in the short term this crank pulley is okay. It's a hell of a lot better than btreaking a stock pulley every other event and flying into walls because of it. before I had the dm stuff I had a few close calls breaking pulley at 70+mph sideways and one 40 mph crash into concrete wall because of it.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
slideways2004;1460518 said:
lol. how do you figure?

Try reading that again.

He was saying that anything BESIDES oem and ATi is crap. The extra comma does make it a little confusing though. Except, I saw your quote and who posted it and knew without looking that there was a misunderstanding.

big yoggz

NYsBlueMA;1460313 said:
How long you run the pulley set ups? I heard the damage is caused further down the road by slightly higher vibration, I bought a kit with all the pulleys but im looking at the ATI one because all my pulleys were bent or split so the crank pulley is temp.

i been having them for about a year already. i installed them when i was doing my 1j swap

787m

What if you're building your motor from the bottom up and have the whole assembly completely balanced? Could you just do away with the HB and have no issues with the underdrive piece?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
shaeffs post should be /thread. underdriving the water pump is cool (LMAO i guess...) but why? power can be gained by other SAFER resources . Of course its not going to self destruct initially, its long term drivability your sacrifice. Did you not learn ANYTHING here??!?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Reg Riemer, one of the true old school guys, and an honest expert on all things Toyota and Lexus. His is the one that came up with the calculations to do the Lex/550 mod. He made it pretty clear that it was a bad idea, he backed his position up with facts and physics straight for the Toyota engineering books. He has seen the detrimental effects first hand.

http://www.suprasonic.org/public_html/sonictech/tet/dualratedamper.html

If your still hellbound to prove physics wrong, or that they magically don't apply to your engine, then more power to you. Nothing else can be done.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Me, I agree with Dirgle. I won't spit out a bunch of ill informed information,but I offer this line of logic.

The automotive industry is out to do one thing. Make money. So, if the HB wasn't needed, then costs would have been cut in order to increase profit. Toyota must have seen the requirement for the HB, or else they would have went with a cheaper simple pulley.

Buy a new toyota, ATI or Fluidamper unit and call it a day, IMO.