Anyone ever run a 3.4L bottom end on a 1j head?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just curious if anyone has ever mustered up the cash to do so? I figure if my bottom end ever goes, I'd love to get one of the 3.4L 2j bottom ends for my head. The thing would be a mid range monster...

What would you call such a setup anyway, a 1.75JZ? 2.1JZ? :p

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Ya itd be pretty idiotic to put a 3.4 bottom end on the 1jz head. Hell the stock 1j head is already a bit restrictive for just the stock 3.0 2jz bottom end, let alone stroking it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RazoE;1707917 said:
Those bottom ends are at least $10,000, it'd be like wearing a tuxedo with sneakers...

Hey that's how I roll baby... that said, I have a pretty nicely ported head, otherwise I wouldn't bother asking. This is all hypothetical, of course.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
te72;1708599 said:
Hey that's how I roll baby... that said, I have a pretty nicely ported head, otherwise I wouldn't bother asking. This is all hypothetical, of course.

Be different and do it. Most will say why, I say why not. I like VVTi, others thought it was stupid. Now I have 450 rwhp stock VVTi 2jz's schooling 600 whp Kenny bell Cobras. my next project will be a 3.4 stroker VVTi.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Anyone who said vvti was stupid is stupid.. It is a superior technology that allows for great things, but one needs someone knowledgeable in that area. Even here in FL, ppl still scough at the idea.

To me, it's another "what did Toyota do?" -Did they stay with non-vvti, no. Simple.

A 3.4L 1.5J is just bad aerodynamics on the fundamental level, a far cry from the aforementioned.

That ported head will make a fine 3L 1.5J though, te72. I witnessed my friends' (BigZavs) setup, and it has made me consider the conversion multiple times.

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Dylan JZ;1709674 said:
Anyone who said vvti was stupid is stupid.. It is a superior technology that allows for great things, but one needs someone knowledgeable in that area. Even here in FL, ppl still scough at the idea.

To me, it's another "what did Toyota do?" -Did they stay with non-vvti, no. Simple.

A 3.4L 1.5J is just bad aerodynamics on the fundamental level, a far cry from the aforementioned.

That ported head will make a fine 3L 1.5J though, te72. I witnessed my friends' (BigZavs) setup, and it has made me consider the conversion multiple times.

Yeah, but Toyota also made a 2JZ-FSE with no turbo and direct fuel injection, are you going to do that as well..?

please say yes, but with a turbo...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1709724 said:
Direct injection makes more power and gets better economy. If money was no object, sure.

This. I almost bought an FSE for the guy that did all the harder work on my car, just so we could play with and tinker, see what would come of it. Then I decided I could use the $800 elsewhere.

That said, this is all merely hypothetical. I for one, could think of better things to do with the ~10-12k that it would cost to put a 3.4l bottom end together. Hell, that's roughly half of what my 7 replica will end up costing I'm sure... In reality, if rods do go knocking on heaven's door for my 1j, it'll probably just be replaced with the 3.0l. :)

Oh, and Jose, my original plan after the 7m blew for the last time in my car was to go with a VVTI 2j setup, and I was about to pull the trigger until the engine I was looking at through JHot was sold before I had all the money together. That was when I found a really nice 1j setup in their inventory sheets, so here we are today.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Brad,

If it were me, and I had that kind of cash laying around, Id be going fully built 1jz block. balance, the works. Sorry I still wont give into this 3.0l stuff =p I love my 1jz too much.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not a bad option either, but for what it costs to build a 1j bottom end, you could pretty much do the same to a 3.0 bottom end. Not like those blocks are hard to come by or expensive to buy, you know?

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind a 1j revving upwards or beyond the 10k point.