Anyone ever put a BB chevy in a MKIII ? PIC's of V8 supras wanted... thanks

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
easylift;1293390 said:
It only has 385 hp at the rear wheels. It has been tuned as a torque monster.
It has 800nm of torque at the rear wheels. (although this measurement on the dyno was so high it seems to me it must be an error!)

It seems outright power figures give bragging rights, but torque is all about the feel of power and acceleration.

I cannot begin to describe how well this car accelerates from just off idle. In fact it gets up to speed so quickly and smoothly that it doesnt seem to be going as fast as it is.

I have super sticky Pirelli Dragon tyres all round, and when cruising at 40km/h when you put your foot to the floor it lights up the tyres. Anyone elses car do that on sticky rubber????????????

lol wow!

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
IJ...For the price of one of the cheapest ls series motors (ls1) is $3500usd. Note thats 350hp, needs custom mounts, trans adapter made or chev trans, lots of fabrication, in both mounts and fuel setup.

Now, for the same option in 6 bolt mains, 260hp, and $700usd for wiring harness, ecu, and low mileage engine, $600usd in mounts and adapters, its in, and wait so thats $1300usd right? Oh ok, so that leaves me with $2200usd for flipped manifolds, y pipe, and single turbo for 400whp. If you want a monster, you can get pistons, rods, and everything you can for the 1uz just like any ls series.

I feel you cannot compare in the price categories between the two. Also keeping it Toyota in the process.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
gnarkill87;1294663 said:
You can get a Ls1 with auto trans for around 1800.

Didnt know we were talking used ls series. Most of us dont bother throwing autos in, not to mention it wont hold any power without extensive modification. A T56 6 speed doesnt go for cheap either and its one of the few stock trans' to hold any power.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
tturnpaw;1294726 said:
Didnt know we were talking used ls series. Most of us dont bother throwing autos in, not to mention it wont hold any power without extensive modification. A T56 6 speed doesnt go for cheap either and its one of the few stock trans' to hold any power.

Why would you assume we were talking about new motors? a new ls1 from the factory is more than 3500. and you can get a (used) ls1 for around 1200, and a th350 or th400 for around 500, and put a cam in it. you would have to spend almost twice the money to get the power out of a 1uz, you can get with a cammed Ls1.

I got nothing against the 1uz, i really like them there amazine motors, my buddy has one in his ls400 and its got 350,000 miles on it and it runs like new! but for the money you can get so much more power out of a Lsx motor, or any larger v8 for that matter.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
tturnpaw;1294726 said:

I beg to differ on this. The 4L60E is not an amazing auto tranny, but it can hold power. I used to be a member on the camaro forums and there were a bunch of guys pushing more than 500hp through it. I'd still recommend going with the T56, but don't be bashing the 4L60 too hard. It beats the shit out of the A340.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
tturnpaw;1294603 said:
Now, for the same option in 6 bolt mains, 260hp, and $700usd for wiring harness, ecu, and low mileage engine, $600usd in mounts and adapters, its in, and wait so thats $1300usd right? Oh ok, so that leaves me with $2200usd for flipped manifolds, y pipe, and single turbo for 400whp. If you want a monster, you can get pistons, rods, and everything you can for the 1uz just like any ls series.

Out of curiosity, where do you find a 1UZ for $700? I've had a hard time finding a 7mgte for that little.

kaifiji

no glove...no love
Oct 22, 2006
bay area
Neodeuccio;1295019 said:
Out of curiosity, where do you find a 1UZ for $700? I've had a hard time finding a 7mgte for that little.
am a member on clublexus.com. a guy on there quoted me $700 for a low milage 1UZ shipped to my door from the east coast. them things are really cheap. you just gota look around

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
tturnpaw;1294603 said:
IJ...For the price of one of the cheapest ls series motors (ls1) is $3500usd. Note thats 350hp, needs custom mounts, trans adapter made or chev trans, lots of fabrication, in both mounts and fuel setup.

I feel you cannot compare in the price categories between the two. Also keeping it Toyota in the process.

Ian also wants the extra displacement that the 6.0 liter offers,the 1UZ at 4 liters isn't that much more displacement than the 7M.Not to mention that the 10.4:1 compression(and extra displacement) of the ls will make it much more enjoyable to drive off boost.
And I don't think he cares about saving a buck when it comes to the fat car.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Neodeuccio;1295019 said:

Local place called foreign engines around here. Not to mention through drift meets and craigslist.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
toy fanatic78;1295047 said:
Ian also wants the extra displacement that the 6.0 liter offers,the 1UZ at 4 liters isn't that much more displacement than the 7M.Not to mention that the 10.4:1 compression(and extra displacement) of the ls will make it much more enjoyable to drive off boost.
And I don't think he cares about saving a buck when it comes to the fat car.

The 1uz is 10:!. Displacement doesnt mean power. Stroked 350s and 351s dont build but 400-450 without a buttload of cash in the heads and top end naturally aspirated of course. Ohc will always be more efficient with a higher ceiling of power. Look at the 2jz, obviously 3.0l works pretty well with these cars. I figure for the price, there isnt much better to stand by it.

As far as autos go, all will need modification for any real power. I was comparing a 1uz with an r154 to a chev manual trans. The only one they mate up to and can hold any power without work is the T56 which i believe is only 400ftlbs till it grenades.

So i guess if you feel the extensive fabrication and cost is worth it, have at it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Removing cost as a factor if someone offered me the choice between a 600rwhp 1uz or an Ls I'd take the Ls everytime simply for the displacement, it will be nicer/more fun to drive in the real world in a heavy Mk3.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
tturnpaw;1295131 said:
As far as autos go, all will need modification for any real power. I was comparing a 1uz with an r154 to a chev manual trans. The only one they mate up to and can hold any power without work is the T56 which i believe is only 400ftlbs till it grenades.

I'm sorry, but that's really not true. My buddy is running a custom LT1 based 355 turbo race engine in his 95 Z28, and is still using his stock T56. He hasn't hit the dyno yet, but we're expecting 800+ bhp and well over 600tflbs torque. The T56 is a badass tranny. If it weren't do you really thing it would be used in the top end corvettes, vipers, mustangs, and camaros? Don't waste your time looking it up, they all came with a T56 transmission from the factory.

Yes, it's a bitch to put into a supra, and no, I wouldn't use it myself for exactly that reason. But you're seriously underestimating these transmissions. If you were to put either the 4L60E or the T56 into a supra, unless you're pushing a lot more power than most of the guys on these forums, you wouldn't have any problems.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
IJ.;1295177 said:
Removing cost as a factor if someone offered me the choice between a 600rwhp 1uz or an Ls I'd take the Ls everytime simply for the displacement, it will be nicer/more fun to drive in the real world in a heavy Mk3.

Ever driven a 1jz mkiii? Doesnt do too bad for a 2.5l if i do say so myself. Even a measly stock 1jz will rip tire down the street on 245s.

As for the T56 comment, you do realize they have completely modified versions of the T56 right? A stock T56 in a w56 camaro, a T56 in a corvette all the way up to C5s, are only good for 400ftlbs. I researched it for my mustang, so trust me i know. D & D sells performance T56s good for 1000ftlbs they used in the venom tt vipers. Look it up yourself.

For proof, took 3 seconds and found this. http://www.ls1.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7144.html

Since i found this, prove the 4L60E can hold more than 400 STOCK.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
IJ.;1295557 said:
Are you being obtuse on purpose?

No way know would I bother with a 2.5L engine on a full weight Mk3 what a joke....

Ever driven a decent 6>7 litre V8?

haha, thats the issue here. Not everyone likes to rev to make power (even i dont) but hands down to a decent 1jz.

Yes where do you think i came from? Ive grown up building a 8.5:1 454 weiand blower and a 250 direct shot in a 80 camaro. One that was built for a show car, mini tubbed, and when it did make it to the track, the 4pt cage cracked, and twisted the frame. It was straightened, braced, and we installed a 383 10:1 with around 600hp.

Not to mention the 460 fox body mustang ive had my hands on. I built my mustang in high school with a 7000rpm 302, ported e7s, high rise manifold, and holley double pumper just to prove how strong and reliable 302s really are. Until the valley cracks that is.

Heres a vid, when it blew the fel-pro head gaskets in two places on the drivers side, and one on the passengers. On its last legs haha. Needed an oil cooler desperately.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=377776

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Oh man, the trash talking and misinformation in this thread is sickening.

Let's see:
-LS1 will make 400HP with minor mods (cam is the most major one)
-T56 has several different variations
-You wouldn't expect a stock clutch to hold tons of power, so why expect a stock auto tranny to? It's not hard to build an auto tranny to take the abuse (and your remark on the A340 is completely off base, ask IJ nicely to correct your assumption).

Dollar for dollar the LS1 will kick the shit out of a 1UZ. Parts are abundant and cheaper. More stock power. Real aftermarket support. ECU is retunable at home.

I can go on, but it would be beating a dead horse, you've already lost this arguement...