Anyone ever heard about using Diesel oil?

SlimLim

May 21, 2006
Australia
Has anyone heard about using good quality Diesel oil instead of ones intended for petrol cars for turbo cars?

I've heard that the properties in diesel oil are much better (cleaning wise) than that of the petrol type variants. I just thought i would ask as it is very interesting as the mechanic we got the info from is very reputable and has years of experience in international rally racing over the years.

The oil in question was the Castrol Magnetec 15W-40 for Diesel.

Your thoughts?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Diesel oils are heavy duty engine oils (HDEO) designed to take the beating a diesel motor puts on it...typically they contain a healthy dose of ZDDP as an anti-wear additive. They also have chemistry that handles particulates (soot) very well. Most are in the 40W multigrade range and carry an API SL/SM . I would consider a 40W for 7M motors that have a lot of miles on them and are starting to show signs of wear...diesel oils can be used, but Castrol SynTec 5W-40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, Pennzoil Platinum European Formula 5W-40, or Red Line 10W-40 would be a better choice due to the lower start-up temp viscosities.

Castrol Magnetec 15W-40 is a semi-synthetic that's pretty thick (110 cst at 40 deg C) at start-up and at the midrange viscosity wise for a 40W at ops temp....there are better alternatives out there for cold start characteristics. If I were to use a diesel oil, I would consider Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 - Excellent oil...cold start viscosity is on par with the above Pennzoil Platinum or Red Line, but is a bit thicker at ops temp.

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
^^^I agree, if you can part with the money use the redline 10w-40. It has worked very well for me, and I now use it everywhere; engine oil, gear oil, diff fluid, and also the redline water wetter and power steering fluid.

Whasian

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'd be very careful using the Red Line Water Wetter...with some coolants, it has a tendency to slime/gunk up the system. Toyota Red coolant is one of them ;)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
jdub;968518 said:
I'd be very careful using the Red Line Water Wetter...with some coolants, it has a tendency to slime/gunk up the system. Toyota Red coolant is one of them ;)

dub, you've saved my ass yet again. :aigo:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Whasian;968506 said:
^^^I agree, if you can part with the money use the redline 10w-40. It has worked very well for me, and I now use it everywhere; engine oil, gear oil, diff fluid, and also the redline water wetter and power steering fluid.

Whasian

Our PS system specs ATF, not power steering fluid.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Some transmissions had speced for Dexron/Mercon by the manufacturer. And later changed over to 10W30 synthetic. So I guess that isn't totally out of question.