Anyone ever dye or paint their interior?

topguncam3888

Jan 13, 2008
Lancaster, PA
Like the title says, anyone ever dye or paint their interior? I just picked up a 90 turbo supra 5pd that happens to be a white package car with burgundy interior. Now I never really minded the burgundy interior but this car's leather seats or pretty much shot. I want to do a white exterior with black interior. Also I don't really want to buy a whole shadow gray interior because leather isn't my first choice and that would be too damn expensive anyways. I've started painting some of the plastic peices in the hatch area black and it's coming out pretty well. Now the paint is fine of the hard palstic but I'm not sure what to do when it comes to the vinyl. If anyone has ever changed the color of their interior what products did you use and how was the outcome? I'm also looknig at picking up some stock cloth seats and dying them black too. They generally go cheap and if I don't like it I can always buy racing seats. What do you guys think?

Solo1Supra

Dec 3, 2006
Nesquehoning,PA
I 2nd that. I used the same product on my MKII, and it works well. Just make sure to clean the surface as best as you can for best results.
Another paints that works well is Krylon Fusion for plastics.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Qeustion: Hows the sheen on these products? When you look at a interior panel doesn't it have a slight egg shell gloss to it?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Those who have done it should post pictures (before and after if possible, closeups are good too). What kind(s) of products they used (brand and color), and how long they've had it done for.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Koenigturbo;1088283 said:
Qeustion: Hows the sheen on these products? When you look at a interior panel doesn't it have a slight egg shell gloss to it?

I used VHT on some door panels and console, and it turned out great. I don't have any pics here @ work, but I can tell you the texture felt like factory. Not stiff and painted feeling. I used matte black.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I painted the carpet in my 86.5. There are pics in my build thread of it if you feel like sifting through all the pages. The car had a light grey carpet originally but years of sun faded it to almost white in some spots plus some stains I could not scrub out. I used a paint that was for vinyl and fabric, I can't remember the brand. Anyway, I painted the carpet dark grey, even the carpet on the lower part of the door panels. Turned out very nice.
Build link below.

topguncam3888

Jan 13, 2008
Lancaster, PA
Thanks for all the feedback and the links. I thought I saw stuff already but searching "dye" wasn't bringing anything up. Like I said I have the burgundy leather interior now but I would like to go to a cloth black.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
I dyed most of my interior (still have a few pieces left) and it's held up great for three years or so (and yes I have not finished the job in over three years, I'm that lazy). I used duplicolor vinyl dye and krylon fusion on the plastic pieces. I wouldn't dye the seats or seatbelts; it's likely that it will rub off (mine did in a small test area) and the dye just doesn't hold well. I would pick up new carpet, seat covers, and steering wheel cover as well as have custom seatbelts made, but everything else is fine to dye. Make sure you clean parts really, really well (rubbing alcohol on last clean job right before you paint) and use 5-6 light coats (I used about 10) and it will turn out great. and sorry, no pics right now because I took my digital camera fishing and it never quite worked right after that.

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
i used the duplicolor stuff and did the carpet in my mk2

p1089730_1.jpg

p1089730_2.jpg

after
p1089730_3.jpg

p1089730_4.jpg

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
I used the duplicolor and I loved the way it came out.I didnt do my dash yet but I did everything esle so on saturday I might take the dash out so it's all done.For the plastic things I would use krylon semi flat cause it looks oem and matches well with the duplicolor.I'll get some pics up when I'm all done.