Anyone ever driven cross-country?

YourHondaSux

I like Supras
Aug 12, 2005
Panther Country
www.cardomain.com
A friend of mine is planning on driving from here in Raleigh out to Los Angeles to visit friends back home. I told him that's one hell of a drive and that he should just fly cuz that much gas would cost way more than a plane ticket. But he wants to make the road trip. So... has anyone else driven coast to coast? How long did it take you?

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
A friend of mine went from Seattle to NY in just over 50 hours. That was pretty much non stop with a 2nd driver, They slept for 2 hours the first night then just switched off. He said it sucked horribly. I drove back from Iowa to Seattle and it was a nice drive. I wish I had taken my time though...

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i've been contemplating driving to south carolina to visit my cousins,

but that means driving with my dad. for 4 days.

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
I havent driven from one coast to the other...but ive done something that was more miles and slightly more insane.

Ive moved alot in my life, so naturally i have friends spread out all over the country...so my road trip consisted of this. (mind you this is when i lived in chicago)

From chicago to minneapolis, minnasota (visit friends, visit mall of america)

from minneapolis to seattle, washington (visit friends, family, fuck buddy)

from seattle washington to Davis, California (visit friends, find new fuck buddy)

from Davis California down to Socal to sight see, then to arizone to sight see, then ALL the way to Corpus Christi, Texas to visit friends and family.

then from Corpus Christi (2 hours north of the mexican border) ALL the way back to Chicago.

the trip took me 3 weeks...and parts of it was boring...some was awesome, all in all, i had a blast.

the most boring part of the trip...Phoenix, AZ --> Corpus Christi, Tx....FLAT FLAT FLAT and STRAIGHT..SO boring!!

coolest part...California...and Idaho..Idaho wins cause its all twisty and ur going 80mph...oh and Parts of Montana that have no speed limit.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Biggest thing I've done was NJ to Myrtle Beach, then from there to Atlanta and right home. Started Friday morning, non-stop till Sunday afternoon. Some parts of North Carolina and Virginia on RT85 are so damn boring. I'd like to see Idaho and Montana in that area someday, looks awesome.

-J

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just go out and sit in the car for 24 hours, only getting up to stretch every 3-4 hours if you aren't sure what a long road trip is going to be like. IIRC, it is going to be about 3,000 miles. If you average 80 MPH, that would be around 38 hours in the saddle. Hrm.. Sounds like something only a great GT car would be worthy of attempting... Hang on, there is a Supra in the driveway? Hmmm.....

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
ive been from seattle, to the west coast down to orgeon, then california, then to nevada, idaho montana and back through canada a few yrs ago, trip down the coast was awsome...

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
YourHondaSux said:
I've driven from Raleigh to New Jersey and back. I would not recommend that. There is absolutely no good reason to go to New Jersey.

Most people not from jersey, hate this place. I don't mind it.

Last edited:

YourHondaSux

I like Supras
Aug 12, 2005
Panther Country
www.cardomain.com
actually SOUTH jersey isn't so bad. its mostly farmland. but i will never go to north jersey for any reason. Riding the train from south jersey to new york was just one ghetto slum shit hole after another. fuck that, you can keep that shit.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
My father-in-law & I drove from Seattle to Tampa in 2 1/2 days, and we were driving a U-Haul that wouldn't break 57 mph & we were pulling my old civic, too. That sucked ass.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Cuz south jersey is nearly a polar opposite from North Jersey... yes the north has a lot of crap in it, also a lot of beautiful neighborhoods and scenery as well. Don't get me wrong there's a lot here that I hate as well... we have fuckin awesome tomatoes though, gotta recognize that.

-J

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
YourHondaSux said:
^^ ok, I'll give ya the tomatoes. But seriously, it is called "the garden state". So you better have some good fucking tomatoes!

Since New Jersey air smells like shit, it must act as fertilizer.

Nahhh, I have to agree with JB, Jersey has some decent places. I lived in central Jersey my high school years, & I had a blast while there.