Anyone done an aluminum driveshaft on the cheap?

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
LS1 F Body cars like Camaros and Trans Ams came with aluminum drive shafts stock. I've been thinking about finding one, measuring it and cutting to proper length. I figured it would be as simple as finding a couple conversion joints to go from the slip yoke to the drive shaft and driveshaft to yoke on the rear.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Go ahead - and enjoy the vibration produced by an unbalanced DS. You might even get to experience the joy of it cutting loose under the car.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Is it really worth all that effort and danger to save $200? Buy a proper one and enjoy driving at freeway speeds without explaining why your dash is shaking loose.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I grabbed a couple 4" Silverado aluminum driveshaft's that a dealer was throwing away with the thought I would have them made into Supra driveshafts by a driveshaft shop.
After some thought, it seems much more dangerous than I'd like and I would be better off using one made for these cars by a reputable company such as Jawsgear.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
L
O
L

You guys really think shortening a driveshaft and having it balanced is that big of a deal? I come from building rock crawlers and trail trucks. I'm not sure who put it in your head that you need to buy a $350-$450 shaft just because its "shop made" and ready for the car.

And btw if you have a shaft balanced, just cause its not "aftermarket" bling pricy shaft doesnt mean its unsafe.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Rock crawler doesn't have driveshaft speeds that cause catastrophic failure. Also keep in mind the gear ratios in those cars is lower than our cars, so less driveshaft speed.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
stomis;1540961 said:
L
O
L

You guys really think shortening a driveshaft and having it balanced is that big of a deal? I come from building rock crawlers and trail trucks. I'm not sure who put it in your head that you need to buy a $350-$450 shaft just because its "shop made" and ready for the car.

And btw if you have a shaft balanced, just cause its not "aftermarket" bling pricy shaft doesnt mean its unsafe.

(Zumtizzle Breaks Vow of Silence.)

A driveshaft must be shortened by a shop, with the know how. (A truck shop, A machine shop, and Driveline shop)

There is more involved to a DS than just chopping it down. The joints must also be in "phase." In order for it to be a proper balence, and then spun balenced.

Also remember the yoke will need to be changed as well, and takes some experience to do. ;)

With that said the guys at shaftmasters have a very good deal for a quality aluminum shaft.

(Back to Vow of Silence.)

If you claim to have the know how, why are you asking? It's people like you i'll never understand.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Well, look at it similar to a top. Once the balance starts to go it wobbles worse and worse. And thats what your driveshaft will do. In it wobbling like that, your transmission will hate you too.

But, go ahead and do it, if you really want to. Take pictures of the carnage please.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
Zumtizzle;1540983 said:
(Zumtizzle Breaks Vow of Silence.)

A driveshaft must be shortened by a shop, with the know how. (A truck shop, A machine shop, and Driveline shop)

There is more involved to a DS than just chopping it down. The joints must also be in "phase." In order for it to be a proper balence, and then spun balenced.

Also remember the yoke will need to be changed as well, and takes some experience to do. ;)

With that said the guys at shaftmasters have a very good deal for a quality aluminum shaft.

(Back to Vow of Silence.)

If you claim to have the know how, why are you asking? It's people like you i'll never understand.

Lol nice rant there. Its those damn people like me that just ask if anyones done it. I'll never understand us either I mean come on, why ask a simple question right? Ridiculous isnt it? Get off your high horse.

I never said CAN it be done. I asked if anyones done it.

And what part of this was missed where I said I was going to measure it and have a driveshaft shop weld it and balance it?

As far as comparing rock crawlers to a cars driveshaft last time I checked 4.30s were lower rear end gears than the 3.73s in my truck.

O and btw how does it take know-how to replace a yoke? Not that you would need to since they make conversion joints...

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
stomis;1540961 said:
L
O
L

L
O
L

Lets see Rock Crawler and Trail truck. I thought this was a Supra forum. Trying to compare the two is really not reasonable. I would edit your post to prevent Flaming. Cause it will come. Then for you to be the OP @ 14 posts with this being your first month registered. Perhaps you should just browse. As soon as you realize these cars are not 4X4's you should start your TO DO list in your sig.

Drop a shaft on the trail at 5 MPH =OH well
Drop a shaft on the HWY at 90 MPH =OH SHIT

I've built both and they are different.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
VooDoo;1541027 said:
L
O
L

Lets see Rock Crawler and Trail truck. I thought this was a Supra forum. Trying to compare the two is really not reasonable. I would edit your post to prevent Flaming. Cause it will come. Then for you to be the OP @ 14 posts with this being your first month registered. Perhaps you should just browse. As soon as you realize these cars are not 4X4's you should start your TO DO list in your sig.

Drop a shaft on the trail at 5 MPH =OH well
Drop a shaft on the HWY at 90 MPH =OH SHIT

I've built both and they are different.

This might just be how I feel, but I feel like a properly done driveshaft follows the EXACT same principles whether it be in a truck or a car. But I'm sorry I forgot this is a supra forums. I guess supra driveshafts dont use balancing, yokes, slip yokes, and u joints. O wait they do? So whats so different again? Hmmm sounds like a bunch of guys that just wanna go flame flame flame because I thought of something outside the box when theres an already made product that everyone chooses to say "just buy one"

O and PS: Dont confuse my being new with the board with being new to vehicles. I've owned plenty of trucks AND cars.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
You are more than welcome to build your car anyway you like. It is yours. I personally would not use a driveshaft that wasn't balanced and built to top quality. There are alot of bad things that could happen. If you build your own then have it balanced and feel good about your welding then go for it. But you will see that here people don't normally accept cheaper ways of doing thing if it sacrifices safety and/or quality. Weather your building a NA or a TURBO is no matter. Go cheap were it will not hurt you deep in the pocket if it fails. Example-Bad vibration will wear out a number of things and cause you alot of headache if not injury if it breaks on the road. Versus going cheap on a paint-job, Moulding, any non mechanical part. Even using generic e-bay stuff has lasted around here but its luck of the draw there.

To each his own man.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
nick88;1541050 said:
Just like you are putting money into and na supra motor in a 3400lb+ car when stock turbos will still have more power than you.

O I'm sorry is this your car? Theres plenty of people who know there are reasons to build an NA or a super charged motor. I'm not trying to go in a straight line fast. Turbo lag will be an issue on a road course where you need instant power and anyone performance building an NA car is more than likely aware of this. Besides I have plans if I'm really that disappointed with my motor (which I really doubt).

And voodoo I have all intentions of having the shaft WELDED AND BALANCED at a shop.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
stomis;1541048 said:
This might just be how I feel, but I feel like a properly done driveshaft follows the EXACT same principles whether it be in a truck or a car. But I'm sorry I forgot this is a supra forums. I guess supra driveshafts dont use balancing, yokes, slip yokes, and u joints. O wait they do? So whats so different again? Hmmm sounds like a bunch of guys that just wanna go flame flame flame because I thought of something outside the box when theres an already made product that everyone chooses to say "just buy one"

O and PS: Dont confuse my being new with the board with being new to vehicles. I've owned plenty of trucks AND cars.

The difference between a rock crawler and a sports car should be evident. This would namely be operating speed. As others have stated the operating speeds are well above that of a truck and with our gearing the shaft will turn at high velocity. If you have access to all the equipment to properly balance a shaft for the operating conditions of our cars then you will likely be able to make your own shaft. However, I suspect that if you had access to these tools, you would be working in a driveshaft shop and not be asking the question here in the first place.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
Sawbladz;1541111 said:
The difference between a rock crawler and a sports car should be evident. This would namely be operating speed. As others have stated the operating speeds are well above that of a truck and with our gearing the shaft will turn at high velocity. If you have access to all the equipment to properly balance a shaft for the operating conditions of our cars then you will likely be able to make your own shaft. However, I suspect that if you had access to these tools, you would be working in a driveshaft shop and not be asking the question here in the first place.

I only asked if anyone HAS done it. Not if it can be done. I know it can be done.

And no I dont have the resources to do it myself. Theres 2 good reputable driveshaft shops in my area.