Anyone compared good 4" to good 5" or 6" spkrs in the front?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
wes-harrison;1370131 said:
sorry to take so long..heres the pics

p1370509_1.jpg

p1370509_2.jpg

Bravo. thats awesome , thats acctually the second RIGHT install in a supra i've seen, besides tekdeuses install. There are lots of people that think if they can make MDF brackets and put 5 1/4 in them and use them with the pre 91 doors its a proper install. :dunno:

Heres what i came up with. I had to reinforce the panel to prevent vibration.
picture.php

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
wes-harrison;1370131 said:
sorry to take so long..heres the pics

p1371390_1.jpg

p1371390_2.jpg

Fantastic! That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I have 2 sets of 6 1/2's and both are absolutely top-o'-tho-line. Some Old school Orion HCCA 6S components and the original British black cone KEF Uni-Q's (still NIB). I was thinking of going with the Orion's in the doors with 350rms going to each side (they can take it) off a HK TC600. What is the mounting depth of your speakers? How's the off-axis reponse? Did you build any enclosures behind them or are you running infinite baffle?

When the door is closed, does the pod hit your leg? Do you have any pics of the pods before the carpet was added? Wanna make me a set? I gotz da $$$.

wes-harrison

Feb 16, 2009
Victoria
umm i didnt make them...but no they dont hit my leg while im driving, but it does hit the door shims sumtimes when i try to close the doors...i dont have any pictures of before it was carpeted either...and im not sure how deep the speakers are...the whole bottom part of the door panel was made as well..but only the pod is fibreglass

wes-harrison

Feb 16, 2009
Victoria
i could probably get a set made though...or i could send these ones and get other ones made...probably wouldnt be cheap to ship tho..i need to paint the carpet anyways on these ones as the colour is a little off

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
wes-harrison;1371613 said:
i could probably get a set made though...or i could send these ones and get other ones made...probably wouldnt be cheap to ship tho..i need to paint the carpet anyways on these ones as the colour is a little off

Well I'm interested. Victoria isn't too far. Just over the water from Seattle. Actually, the only place I've ever been in Canada. What a waste of dual citizenship :3d_frown:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
wes-harrison;1371872 said:
ok...well do u want me to figure out a price for you?...and what colour is the interior?

Sure. PM me a price. Black interior.

I'd like the clearance issue with the door resolved as well as know the mouting depth I can get away with speaker wise.

wdb

Jul 6, 2009
Vancouver, WA
wdb;1366237 said:
Thanks alot everybody. After considering all of your opinions and after spending alot of time looking at my removed stock speaker pods trying to think of a way that I could squeeze a 5 and a quarter in while not hacking it up too much (while having an actual 5.25" speaker at hand to use as a measuring tool), I've decided to go with the 4's. I just want to keep that pod sealed and also keep the proper speaker angle onto the mounting surface and after alot of examination, I think that it'd be more trouble than it's worth. I just heard some 4" infinity 4022i's at a car stereo shop today and those things have amazing sound and enough low frequency for me for some door speakers. I heard them compared to some infinity 6.5's (which I had in my last car) and there was definitely more bass but the difference didn't really blow my socks off or anything like I was thinking it would. For anybody looking for some speakers, those infinity 4"ers put out some serious bass for a little 4" speaker. I think that the 4's will be just fine and I'm not going to go through all that just for an extra inch when I might compromise the performance anyway. Thanks all.

Here's an update I made to the original comment I made earlier in this post.

--------------------UPDATE----------------------------

I got the infinity 4"speakers brand new and installed them the other day. I've got to say that for some reason they aren't sounding as good to me in the car as they did in the speaker shop. In the shop they weren't run on an amp either, just on a deck like they are in my supra.

They don't have enough low frequency for me, not enough punch either. In the speaker shop I was like "Damn! Those sound sweet!" But after I put them in the car I was like "Damn! Maybe I made the wrong choice!" I think it's really important to have some bass in the front speakers especially after hearing the difference between the infinity 4's and the infinity 6.5's like I used to have in my old car and now that I've heard both, I want to change my stance on that the difference "did" blow my socks off. Maybe some day I'll try to make some MDF or plywood mounts and put some 6.5's in my supra front doors. I'll bet they'd fit.

R1GG5

Supramania Contributor
Jun 22, 2009
Huntsvegas
Pernilongo;1370509 said:
Bravo. thats awesome , thats acctually the second RIGHT install in a supra i've seen, besides tekdeuses install. There are lots of people that think if they can make MDF brackets and put 5 1/4 in them and use them with the pre 91 doors its a proper install. :dunno:

Heres what i came up with. I had to reinforce the panel to prevent vibration.
picture.php

I dont see the problem with brackets, I made MDF brackets and made a box in where the old box was. My polk SRs sound unreal.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
R1GG5;1376481 said:
I dont see the problem with brackets, I made MDF brackets and made a box in where the old box was. My polk SRs sound unreal.

the problem is not in the brackets, the problem is that only 40 or so % of the woofers surface has a direct path to the cars interior through the tiny opening of the stock panel for 4" driver, and the the rest of the woofer is firing in to the wall of the panel distributing sound into the space of the door, thus, mixing front and rear outputs of the woofer and defeating the purpose of free air application.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Pernilongo;1376559 said:
the problem is not in the brackets, the problem is that only 40 or so % of the woofers surface has a direct path to the cars interior through the tiny opening of the stock panel for 4" driver, and the the rest of the woofer is firing in to the wall of the panel distributing sound into the space of the door, thus, mixing front and rear outputs of the woofer and defeating the purpose of free air application.

Bingo!

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Canuckrz;1377060 said:
^ Any solutions to this problem without going to 91-92 pannels or looking haggard as well?

Look how Tekdeus installed his speakers, thats one proper way. And the other is this other guy in this thread with glass-fiber pods in the carpeted area. if you leave the 4" boxes and put some nice woofers there, cross them over at 200hz at 6db at the bottom and make the lower speakers (in the carpeted area) play between 4000 hz at 18db on the top and 80hz at 24db on the bottom you'll get a very nice 3 way system that does not entertain you feet or the back of your head with all the directional highs. in other words its not going to pull your attention to the floor or the back delivering the details from where they should be coming from -the front at the head level.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
wdb;1374322 said:

I got the infinity 4"speakers brand new and installed them the other day. I've got to say that for some reason they aren't sounding as good to me in the car as they did in the speaker shop. In the shop they weren't run on an amp either, just on a deck like they are in my supra.

They don't have enough low frequency for me, not enough punch either. In the speaker shop I was like "Damn! Those sound sweet!" But after I put them in the car I was like "Damn! Maybe I made the wrong choice!" I think it's really important to have some bass in the front speakers especially after hearing the difference between the infinity 4's and the infinity 6.5's like I used to have in my old car and now that I've heard both, I want to change my stance on that the difference "did" blow my socks off. Maybe some day I'll try to make some MDF or plywood mounts and put some 6.5's in my supra front doors. I'll bet they'd fit.

Well do you think they might have had a subwoofer playing at the same time? the car audio shops rarely have just the speakers turned on. do you have a subwoofer in your car? also, normally in a car environment due to resonant volume of the interior in case of a supra its about 87hz you will be loosing a lot of bass. in the store there is no road "masking" noise thus you do hear more bass in this kind of places, like at home or in a theater. thats how you calculate the sub requirements in a car. you take all the variables like fs,vas,qt, space availability bla bla bla bla bla and you calculate a number that will over power the all other noises generally speaking. I bet if you take your new bought speakers back to the store and turn them on, they will play just as nice when you first heard them maybe even better due to already loosened suspension thus a longer stroke.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
wdb;1374322 said:

You would actually be surprised at how a Deck can make a difference in sound.