anybody with 7m ge --> JDM 7m gte swap please help

van1684

Apr 19, 2005
chicago
i had an 89 NA supra. i got a rod knock so i went with jdm swap. i have no mods on right now. i changed the wiring harness bcuz JDM harness goes into passenger compartment on driver side so it was too short and was too lazy to lengthen approx. 100 wires. engine runs. used afm from 2jz(tested via haynes repair manual and says it should be ok to use hopefully) did not change fuel pump though(just a lit'l bit of info bcuz some people with swap have changed fuel pump not sure y though?) no downpipe installed yet. still using jdm TPS sensor if that makes any difference.

the engine runs. my problem is that when i step on gas engine feels like it's about to die. when i went to wide open throttle. the engine hesitated like crazy and then it sounded like 3 cylinders fired and pause then another 3 and then i backed off bcuz of the pause. when i press gas very very little rpm raises a bit. most i can reach seems just a couple hundred rpm more(no rpm signal) anything after that lit'l push on gas pedal engine hesitates a lot.

now to rule out possibilities. don't think it's the fuel pump. bcuz right now the engine won't even go above 2000 rpm i'm thinking(not sure bcuz i don't have an tach signal) i was thinking maybe it's the jdm tps.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
It almost sounds like your MAF sensor. Your car will idol with is unplugged but once you give it gas it will die. Also have you checked your timing???. That is a couple things I'd check.

van1684

Apr 19, 2005
chicago
maf was from junkyard. it's also been a year since my car has ran and haven't checked timing yet. i'll look into those. anybody else have any other suggestions?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
AFM! find a guy near you with one that works and swap it out to see if thats your problem.

sounds EXACTLY like its your AFM.

fuel pumps are the same btw.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
lagged said:
AFM! find a guy near you with one that works and swap it out to see if thats your problem.

sounds EXACTLY like its your AFM.

fuel pumps are the same btw.

you're probably right, lagged, as he says he has a 2jz AFM in there...

-shaeff

van1684

Apr 19, 2005
chicago
well.....afm seems to be working. i was working on it after that incident then forgot to hook up afm and rpm was "searching"(going up and down) and i just remembered that that's what happens when afm is not plugged in. so then i plugged it in and now it's ok. for some odd reason i didn't do anything special and now it doesn't hesitate anymore but......i was holding rpms steady at around 3000 rpm and shot it up really quick just for the hell of it then the car died. and now....when i start the car it barely starts and stalls again. i was thinking something wrong with my idle air control valve but that was working decent b4. it is supposed to shoot up the rpm's on startup so it won't die right?