Anybody interested in a Tilton to a 7M-GTE for around $1500?

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Hi guys,

My friend is a machinist engineer and and develops and machines alot of his own stuff for his car. He recently installed a Tilton of a Nascar to his 700hp 7M-GTE with great success. We now thought maby offering the kit to other Supra owners aswell because there isnt many affordable multiplate clutches available for the 7M that can hold the power.

Basicly the kit would come with the following:
New flywheel
New clutch cylinder
New CAD designed clutch fork
New bearings
New splines to the Tilton
+ some stuff I'm forgetting

The kit would cost around $1000-1200 but you would have to buy the clutch from Ebay yourself that you can get for $100-$250. You would have to have the splines changed to the clutch locally. It should be pretty straight forward to any automotive shop to drill out the rivets and install the new splines along with the new rivets.

The FW+clutch combo weighs around 20lbs in total. I drove my friends Supra with the tilton and 700hp last weekend and the clutch feel was lighter than stock and the response of the engine was incredible. This is the same car that went 185mph at a 1.2 mile track. I'll post the vid later.

Here's the url to the clutches at Ebay:
http://search.ebay.com/nascar-tilton_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

If there is some interest we could send maby five sets to a sole person or vendor in the US (I'm in Finland, Europe) that could handle the distribution in the US.

LMK what you think.

Krister

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
its a nice idea. i would so be interested if i wasnt sticking with automatic! hehe

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Sounds great Krister but not sure if you knew this but I have been working with Spec on a multi disk set-up for the past 4 months and it is almost done. It will be a direct bolt in and will hold the power of a Tilton with less price tag attached. I am waiting for the first one and will be testing it before it goes public.

Duane

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Duane: No I wasnt aware of a project like this. Great work. :)

Ckanderson: Yup, a real Tilton for $1500. I think it's $4000 new or more?

We might do a another car here first and take pictures of the install and all the parts to see if there is more interest. Too bad about the Dollar/Euro is not beneficial to selling parts to the US, we could offer this kit alot cheaper if the dollar wouldnt be this weak compare to the Euro. I'm not complaining, it's nice to order stuff from the US and basicly get a 35% discount ;)

Let me know if someone would be willing to try this out in the US and do a write up on it.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Krister said:
Duane: No I wasnt aware of a project like this. Great work. :)

Ckanderson: Yup, a real Tilton for $1500. I think it's $4000 new or more?

We might do a another car here first and take pictures of the install and all the parts to see if there is more interest. Too bad about the Dollar/Euro is not beneficial to selling parts to the US, we could offer this kit alot cheaper if the dollar wouldnt be this weak compare to the Euro. I'm not complaining, it's nice to order stuff from the US and basicly get a 35% discount ;)

Let me know if someone would be willing to try this out in the US and do a write up on it.

need to clarify one thing.

The tilton that is $4000 is the Triple CARBON clutch. The clutches on ebay are the bronze / sintered metallic clutches that NASCAR uses which will not survive long on slipping duties needed for drag racing.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
figgie said:

The tilton that is $4000 is the Triple CARBON clutch. The clutches on ebay are the bronze / sintered metallic clutches that NASCAR uses which will not survive long on slipping duties needed for drag racing.
somethin shady is going on...

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
still a triple disc metalic clutch for 1500 isn't bad at all.. the cheapest other option is the osgiken which is like 1600 for a twin..

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tlo86 said:
somethin shady is going on...

well remember they don't need to slip once they have started to move. In drag racing, the slip is part of the initial forward movement but you are doing it at a higher load value for a hell of a longer time.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
figgie said:

OK, that's my bad. I thought that all Tiltons were the same.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
tissimo said:
still a triple disc metalic clutch for 1500 isn't bad at all.. the cheapest other option is the osgiken which is like 1600 for a twin..

yep, thats what im sayin even for 1500 bux you got yourself one hell of a clutch.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
and save engines since high clamp load pressure plates tend to cause issues...

multi plate gets by all that...

I was going to go osgiken when I started going for big power so I didn't have to worry about my engine (and the nasty heavy pedal), but this seems promising...