Anybody have any guages from PLX Devices?

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I'm upgrading from GE to GTE within the next few weeks, and I'm planning on adding extra gauges like boost, pyro, and air/fuel.

My original plan was to add these three gauges in an A-pillar pod, but then my dad told me about gauges made by PLX Devices. The gauges are multi-functional OLED, and one gauge can display the information from several sensors.

Does anyone have any experience with this company or their gauges? They look pretty promising to me, and I like the idea of putting a single gauge between my speedo + tach; instead of three or so up the A-pillar. If I got anything, I think I'd start with the DM-100 control box, and add sensor boxes from there.

Here's a demonstration video from their website.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9wUUeQ6Qo&eurl=http://www.plxdevices.com/products/dm100/[/youtube]

What do you think? Worth the money, or should I go with Prosport gauges instead?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I like everything about them but the price. It would be nice if they had a full round screen too, so they don't look like square pegs in round holes.. :)

I'm actually thinking of buying a small used laptop, and "Installing" it in the car...

It could use the Tuner Pro RT program, and show just about all the data I need to run my car, as well as allow for on the fly Translator Pro changes whenever I want. (Plus, with a 250gb HDD, think of how many songs and other stuff you could have in your ICE? :)

Just run the micro stereo plug to a seperate amp, and you could have quite the sound and video system in any car. (not easy, but then again, it would be quite the "carputer.")

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
meh... I agree with the square plug in the round hole...

if I wanted multi function gauges I'd get the ones from MSD http://www.msdignition.com/2006/06-1.htm

Not to mention those gauges might not react fast enough, might not be very easy to see during the day, and/or blind you at night, ect...

Personally having a seperate gauge is easier to read if there is an issue and if they have a warning function can save your engine (like say....the prosport gauges)

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Poodles;916543 said:
Personally having a seperate gauge is easier to read if there is an issue and if they have a warning function can save your engine (like say....the prosport gauges)

That's almost what I was thinking. I love the prosport gauges, but was wondering if it'd be better to have three gauges on the A-pillar; or spend the extra $$$ to have just one gauge display the same information in just one gauge right in front of me.

So far, I'm leaning to the prosport; but I'm seriously considering these instead, and was wondering if anyone is using or has used these before.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
well, that's why I'd run the MSD gauges, it shows 2 different gauges in one, but at the same time!

really up to you though...

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
^^^ They look interesting, and I still like the idea better of having one multipurpose gauge; rather then having one gauge for every reading I need.

Do you have any pics of your gauges mounted and installed?

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
LOL, I totally understand that! I've got a lot of plans for the Supra, but very short on cash right now; so I just have to tackle things in the order of importance.

I do know that going from N/A to turbo, I'll need extra gauges like boost and such; so those are bumped up on the priority list. Now I just have to decide what style of gauges to get.

Decisions, decisions...... :3d_frown:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
best bang for the buck is gonna be the prosport gauges...

you could also just use a stock boost gauge, it's really up to you...

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
The problem with making a round LCD is cost and I'm sure thats why they went this route. Making it round I'm sure would more then double the cost of the screen its self, probably triple to quadruple more like.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I will most likely be using their WB setup soon. Ill let everyone know how it is.

BTW, a manager at a local aftermarket parts store i know highly recommends them and since he's hooking me up with a discount....its impossible to pass up how cheap they are with the functionality they offer.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
there really cool gauge and i have liked every one of there other produtch

there fast as well all around there pretty sweet