Anybody Ever Traveled Grey Hound?

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Today at 2:15 im leaving to get on a bus for a 30 hour (or so) trip to Pittsburgh. I think i have to switch busses like 4-5 times and Ive never been on a bus in my life besides around this city, I have absolutely ZERO idea of what to expect.

Should i be like freakin out alert?

Like what happens here? I have no idea what to expect can anybody give me a quick run down of how this shit happens? Like switching busses ect ect?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
My advice to you:

Don't do it unless you have to.

I've done it a few times when money was tight, I HAD to get somewhere long distance, my own transportation was unreliable, or some other reason.
If you have any questions, you should ask the people at the ticket counter. I don't remember if you have to pick up your luggage and transport it when you change buses, or if it is "checked luggage" that they change for you, so you definitely want to ask.

Remember, there are a ton of eccentric, stupid, and odd people out there. If they had money, they would most likely be driving or flying. I find that the weirdo rate definitely increases with a decrease in level of income.

Also, no weapons allowed on, and in many places they didn't check passengers, even post 9-11. This means it may be easy for people to sneak weapons on-board, but you will not be able to carry for the whole trip.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
When i traveled in the states on a backpacker budget, I considered Greyhound, and decided on Amtrak instead.

The crazy-factor was way too high for me (esp being a 20 year old chick traveling on my own).

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
i dont really have a choice now the tickets been paid for. if i had money i sure as fuck wouldnt be goin greyhound either but it is what it is.

Im using what little money i have to move in with a friend of mine in hopes of getting stable on my feet with his help and get my family rollin.

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
I rode from Amarillo TX to Seattle WA, roughly 3 days on the bus with every type of weirdo you can imagine. I also met a lot of cool people, and got to see places I would have missed if I had flown. I recommend it if you're brave- :icon_bigg

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Tango_hotel;1341307 said:
I rode from Amarillo TX to Seattle WA, roughly 3 days on the bus with every type of weirdo you can imagine. I also met a lot of cool people, and got to see places I would have missed if I had flown. I recommend it if you're brave- :icon_bigg

LOL man i tell ya you can recommend on SM to boost your spirits :nono:

recommend wtf, Rely*

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
I travelled from Toronto to Lansing, MI on the Greyhound. Not far at all, but it felt like an eternity. We had stopped in Detroit on the way there and on the way back we stopped at every little town. The Milk Run! It wasn't comfortable at all. On top of that the driver was falling asleep on the road. :3d_frown: Wish you well!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Monkey_riding_on_a_greyhound.jpg

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I pass the local Greyhound bus station quite frequently. I see a bunch of thugs, prostitutes, and all sorts of low lifes hanging out in front of that place. I've talked to people who were on the way to ride the Greyhound. It's not people you would normaly want to talk to. Just watch your back, and don't talk to anybody. Pretend you have laryngitis. Do not wear any nice shoes, or jewlery. Don't carry anything that people can ask for like cigarettes, chewing gum, cell phone (turn that bitch off), etc. Watch out for the people coughing up a lung on the bus... swine flu. Sleep with one eye open.

Other than that, you should have a nice trip. Have fun and good luck on your family situation. If you don't mind me asking what's going on to where you need to get stable on your feet with someone else's help?

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
SupaMan;1341442 said:
not moving to PGH im being picked up there im gonna be in moundsville WV im being picked up in PGH.

im moving to MN

so your going from florida to go to pgh to go to WV..... then going to MN ?

ok, form the one post you had sunded like you were moving to pgh ....

WILL

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
the hell with all that bus riding .

I went from the eastern most part of ohio ( right near the Pa border) up to new yrk city to shop around with an X g/f

if I remember it was at least a 8 hr drive , legs all cramped, one bathroom...

it was hell, F-that, only good thing about it was during the drive up I got a hand job under our jackets in the dimmd lighting ...

WILL

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Get ready to meet a Who's Who of mental illness.

Last time I traveled GH I ended up staying awake for over 56 hours. It was no fun seeing a Native American Indian dressed in buckskin pants carrying a bow and quiver running along side of the bus that was doing 55MPH somewhere in the middle of Texas. It got stranger when the brave waved at me and started to run faster and passed the bus.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
i will never willingly ride greyhound again

you will be stuck in a metal box for hours at a time with people who cant afford to drive or fly. kids will be screaming, at least one person will be sick, and the quality of driver will be suspect. (i wouldnt trust my life to a driver who is willing to work undr these conditions for 36k a year)

its the favorite method of trucking companies to transport drivers. i wont work for a company that isnt willing to spring for airfare.

since you don't smoke, you will be safe there. if you did, i would tell ya to bring along several packs, you will be constantly asked for one.

and do not pack anything you absolutely need. One time when transferring to another co, i had tools, and a lot of personal items to carry with me. the freight charge for one box was over a hundred bux. when i got to amarillo, the box was thrown on the floor. when i bitched, the manager said "it was heavy, i would have dropped it too" i stared at him a second, and told him thats why i paid big bucks to have it shipped! his response " we are a franchise, talk to greyhound all you want, they aint gonna do shit"

and i have many many more stories about that shitbag company and their people

have fun

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
i did it once from Toronto, all the way to Virginia to pick up a car. I went with a friend. We will never. EVER. EVERRRRR do it again. a 24 hour trip taking 3 days?
K.