Any Thoughts on Upgraded Air Conditioner Compressors?

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Reading Alex's thread spurred me to post this.

I've been curious to find out if anyone's done any A/C system mods--more than just repairs or refrigerant conversions. More specifically, I'm interested in finding out about more efficient compressors; I get the feeling the stock compressor sucks a bit of horsepower, judging by the noticeable lurch when the a/c clutch engages. And I know I could overcome the power loss by turning up the boost some, but that's not what I'm after here--I want true efficiency.

I don't know what the brake curve looks like for the stock compressor, but I've seen specs for ones lately that use less than 6 hp at 300 psi and 2500 rpm. A/C systems have advanced since the initial MKIII system specifications, and I'm all for taking advantage of the newer tech. For example, if I'm not mistaken r134a is designed to operate at much higher pressures; when it's time to do the conversion, I'd like to have at least a compressor that's designed around these higher operating pressures.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any experiences with newer a/c components?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I was talking about this during the week with a friend that has a Pantera and he's bought a modern Compressor that's tiny so I'll see how his goes!

Could be a good space/hp/weight savings!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
R134A does not have as good of a temp to pressure ratio as R12, so the system was redsigned around that. Not the other way around. You will be hard pressed to have cooling as well as you do when your system is operating properly as you do stock.

There will be a tradeoff. It is a crank driven accessory.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
IJ: Funny, a few months ago a friend of mine mentioned he'd removed an old compressor from one of his sbc engines and was thinking of getting one of these newfangled rotary Sanden units that supposedly only sucked 4 hp, and was the size of a grapefruit. He mentioned that his old unit (some old York compressor, didn't get a model #) ate up 26 hp! Instantly I began to conjure up excuses to try one of the newer compressors out.

Nick: I have no illusions about the fact that A/C will always be a tradeoff. What I'd like to find out is what can be done to minimize the parasitic losses and to increase compressor efficiency.

I'm not willing to give up A/C altogether until I move north...way north.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Wendigo: Check out Alex's thread (the link is in my first post) for costs and caveats regarding recharging/upgrading the original system. Jetjock and others covered the subject pretty well. Also, google around and see what you can learn on the subject. This is something I found while researching the conversion--there's tons of general info out there on the subject.

Syris: I've got a targa myself, but this Florida heat really makes driving without A/C a hassle. I've got thick blood and I sweat a lot, so it looks bad when I show up somewhere and I have a big sweaty "<" shape on my shirt from where the seatbelt was. Plus the targa doesn't help much in the rain, which we get daily 4-6 pm. I envy you for being able to enjoy topless summer days; I have to wait for the winter months for that.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Hell, you're in Ocala? I just moved outta there, up to Gainesville! I hear you with that damn heat... I'll be happy to have my A/C back to 100% stock working, but if I can upgrade it as well, that'd be sweet!

solid400

Apr 8, 2005
Atlanta GA
I know exactly what you are saying, here in GA its not much better. I hate driving with the AC on cause you can really feel the power loss but if i don't want to look like i just got back from the pool I have to use it. I'd definetly be interested in a new compressor.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
IJ: The targa leaks are insidious, and yes, moisture inside the cabin leads to fog on the glass, which is awfully hard to remedy without a/c! I hated having a targa until I put on all new seals.

I finally replaced the front and rear targa seals 4 days ago...about 5 years after purchasing the car! :nuts:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
DyslexicSquirrel said:
how much HP does the stock A/C setup rob from our cars...?
None. It cycles off when accelerating hard. It does produce drag when on, obviously, so fuel consumption goes up.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Nick M said:
None. It cycles off when accelerating hard. It does produce drag when on, obviously, so fuel consumption goes up.

id also like to add, when you are at the track the AC should be off and the heater should be on HIGH on the way back.

complaints that the AC robs power are pointless and uneducated. simply turn it off when you want to run.