Any suggestions on a good place to get a 7MGTE shortblock?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My engine is apart and I get to see what the previous build did wrong (read - everything).

I have to find a shortblock now (I am in Canada). Any ideas on where to look for a GOOD one? I am trying to steer away from JDM as much as possible, but if all else fails, I may end up looking there.

why do "mechanics" and "machine shops" do crazy things to our engines? (My bearings are toast, they resized the mains and the crank without any balancing... resized the rods, assembled the head incorrectly, put a OEM HG on and said it was a Cometic... etc.. etc... lol. The oil journals were "machined"... why?

My concern is to have a bottom end that is done correctly. I dont really care too much about the $$ side...

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I believe there are a few guys here that will build you a great proven bottom end, but I believe it is very costly. I also think it would be worth it in the end if you plan on keeping the engine, and want someone to do it that has built many high horse 7m's. I wish I could remember who they were tho.

Feel free to chime in if anyone remembers what members I am referring to.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I would just find any cheap decent block and send into someone that is proven to do good work on it to do your machining for you that way you can get everything you want or don't want done to it.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My whole plan was to drive the 7m until it died and then dump the car crossborder to kaizen for a 2j swap and cosmetics in the engine bay (vvti)
However, all I was intending with what is going on is solving my engine smoking at start up. Well... When you pull the head all types of telltales let you know your not in for a quick fix...
Huge amounts of cash going into my car, I just hope I can keep up!!
I will see if kaizen has any access to a 7m. Like it or not I'm stick with a 7m now so it has to be bulletproof...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Grandavi;1890023 said:
Contacted the ebay guy. My worry is that the components are great, but the work isn't "spot-on"... Anyone know if they are good?

I would never trust the ebay guy. Not unless he somehow is one of the builders on the forums and has the rep to back it up. But if you would like to be a ginneua pig feel free.
Not all stuff on ebay is junk, but I would hate to spend 3 grand on an engine that will be out of specs or just slapped together saying that its all done up.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thats the whole problem really. Its not bad when you pick up a shortblock and have the time to scan it over for any problems, but when your car is sitting in a shop with a toast block.. the tiny panic sets in...
Trying my best not to end up with 2 piles or scrap iron...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Found a shortblock in Ontario.. woot! Being built as stock (considered forged, but then nixed it, changing up the build to a higher than necessary build isnt really smart for me at this point.. I just want rock solid for 350-400 HP...

After doing the research/hunt/panic/hunt/research cycle, I think I will be maxing my PSI at 15 psi for top end on my 57 Trim and playing it safe seeing as my car is only a street driver...

you know.. its hard to find all the info a person needs to figure out how NOT to kill your car... lol.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
The shop in Edmonton I'm having my block built has been top-notch so far. They're a V8 shop, but have built a couple 7M engines. Balanced my rotating assembly to 0.1 g and my cylinder bores machined within 0.0001" of eachother. They've got good machinery and seem to know their stuff. They don't do DOHC heads though. PM me if you want the name.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Grant, one of the best pieces of advice that IJ ever posted on here was this sage piece of advice on the subject of reliability:

(paraphrased) IJ said:
Build an engine for 1000hp and tune it down to 500hp, will be plenty reliable.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Absolutely, but a 1000 Hp proper build is well over 4000... I have seen them for over 14,000.00
My budget isn't going to allow for that, although ideally I would love to.
I will be going with forged pistons (wiseco) and polished rods. I can afford that, but I can't overbuild like I originally planned because I am now 2 years ahead of my plans so I didn't have the budget for what is being done (none of the work is being done by me... It's all very very expensive)
I could have bought a fully done 600 Hp properly built supra with 4000.00 wheels needing NO WORK for what I am dumping into mine this session. It's a little disturbing because its the worst possible way to do this. I am responding to disaster rather than following a very well thought out plan.
That's what a shithead mechanic who screwed over the previous owner has led me to.
Very annoying...

On the other hand, I will be where I wanted to be, I just have to max my credit card to do it...

tonyphip

Mar 8, 2012
minnesota
Grandavi;1889975 said:
My engine is apart and I get to see what the previous build did wrong (read - everything).

I have to find a shortblock now (I am in Canada). Any ideas on where to look for a GOOD one? I am trying to steer away from JDM as much as possible, but if all else fails, I may end up looking there.

why do "mechanics" and "machine shops" do crazy things to our engines? (My bearings are toast, they resized the mains and the crank without any balancing... resized the rods, assembled the head incorrectly, put a OEM HG on and said it was a Cometic... etc.. etc... lol. The oil journals were "machined"... why?

My concern is to have a bottom end that is done correctly. I dont really care too much about the $$ side...
stay away from ebay engines i went thru 3 of them

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Its really too bad that you already decided on a motor grandavi. I have 2 blocks and 2 heads that I am working with and from the looks of things I am 6 hours from you. How much you spending on your bottom end? I have a few very good machinists in my area of woods in BC and had to choose mine based on cost vs what I wanted done. The shop I chose has some very nicely built race cars and I will be using them more later. I haven't decided what my final goal is but the motor will be built for 600 hp without issues.

I know what you mean about shops and their shady mechanics. The motor I pulled out of my car was supposed to have a head gasket done on it the prior year and it blew on the guy within 5000km. When asked to warranty the work, the shop refused and I found out why.... they never did the work. They used a coolant sealant in the rad system. Ceramic from the looks of it.

I will be doing a trip in my supra next year out to Alberta to look for some work in Calgary and should drop by and compare cars. I will be looking for a machine shop that does larger object building and works with a lot of aluminum.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bottom end built (from oil pan to head gasket (not head)) will be roughly 2000.00 + shipping from Ontario. Not ebay.. I couldn't get them to "speak" on the phone. The guy I am getting the short block built with told me all the stuff I was going to ask him about prior to my asking and corrected a couple misconceptions I had as well (saving me $$). Very good guy and comes recommended by George at Raptor Racing who I trust. I had some leads on good short blocks in the US, but finding one on this side of the border was a plus. Hoping to have all the details and payment ironed out before Tuesday which could mean having my car back before December... (crossing fingers).

If your coming through Calgary, feel free to call, just pm me before you sail through and I will give you my cell number. Have met a lot of good Supra people so far.