Any SCUBA divers?

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Searched didn't see anything about diving.

Post places you've been. Experiences. Other stuff pertaining to diving.

NAUI Certified

I've been to:
  • A couple quarries in PA
    Mostly training. VERY cold (38*). Full wetsuit required. Went down to about 40ft I think? It got DARK when at depth (had flashlights).
  • Looe Key, FL
    3 Dives here. About 60ft. Nothing too special. Very colorful, lots of fish.
  • Kona, HI
    Did 4 dives here. 3 daytime dives of about 100ft. 1 night dive to about 50ft. and fed Manta Rays.... (8ft. wingspan flying over your head, WOAH.)

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
PADI Advanced Open Water/Rescue Diver Cert.

Lake Travis, Austin
-Was early in May/Late April and super cold (55 surface/45 thermocline). Vis was bout 30-40 ft. Was a dive park so there was some interesting things to play with. Multi-dives over a 4 day weekend.

Blue Lagoon, Huntsville
- My first diving experience and it was in the worst conditions I have ever dove in. It rained before we got there, during diving, and then on the way out. It was an old quarry that had been turned into a dive park. Sandy/silty bottom that stirred up easily. Was my opening dives and forced me to deal with all the usual tests with low vis.

Cozumel, Mexico
- Dove a week there with my cousin and want to go back. Awesome vis, awesome sites, lots of fun. Got my specialitys handled there (Drift, wreck, Fish ID)

Only down side is I haven't been out diving in about a year now :(

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I'm not certified, but I dove once in a group in the Red Sea in Israel, it was absolutely beautiful, clear water, bright day, amazing visibility and sea-life :) I wish I remembered it better though, but it was a long time ago :(

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I was never certified but ive been diving a few times in Clearwater FL...I would like to get certified but I doubt PA has water worth diving.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
/\ actually there are alot of good weekend/day diving places. quarrys are usually a really good place to get your feet wet.

also NC has some really good offshore diving apperently but havent been there yet

Who

Supramania Contributor
PADI certified
Too many dives to mention in the FL Keys. Wreck diving in Ft. Lauderdale and then some. My parents moved to the keys and became conchs. Diving and boating was the norm. Honestly we got tried of using all that heavy equipment. Free diving with a weight belt, fins, mask and snorkel is the way to go. Freedom!! With some practice and some physical fitness you would be surprised how long you can hold your breath underwater.
All that was of course in my youth. Old and overweight is very buoyant especially in salt water.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
whowouldfigga;1056497 said:
PADI certified
Honestly we got tried of using all that heavy equipment. Free diving with a weight belt, fins, mask and snorkel is the way to go. Freedom!! With some practice and some physical fitness you would be surprised how long you can hold your breath underwater.
All that was of course in my youth. Old and overweight is very buoyant especially in salt water.
QFT!!!!

Free diving to catch lobster is mega fun.

Chaplain242

Sep 18, 2007
Perth
PADI certified, tech certified(decompression).

Haven't dived much lately - just tech practice stuff but the last dive had bit of a scare - total air failure at 20m....a particle got jammed in the high pressure regulator stem so had to do a free ascent as buddies took off on their own missions. Luckily wasn't inside the wreck and the dive had just started so didn't really have to worry about DCS. Carry out a free ascent with no air in your lungs though - HURTS LOTS!

Really brought home the fact that most people(even me on occasion) take scuba for granted and start to ignore all them safety drills we learnt early on. Will endeavour to get back on track and carry out dive briefs before every dive etc.