Any plumbers out there?

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Ok, so my toilet tank has a crack and it's leaking water. I went to home-depo and other home improvement stores and non of them carry the brand i have(Crane pluming). I ask one of the home depo employees if i can just replace the toilet tank with a different brand, they told me i can't. Well do i have to find the same toilet i have? Can i just use a toilet tank from another crane pluming toilet? How do i find out were my toilet part number is at?
My toilet is about 12 years old. Thanks. :naughty:

Last edited:

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Ive been doing plumbing with my dad's company since I was 9. The number should be on the inside of the tank, but at 12 years old, you are better off replacing it. All you will need is the bowl/tank, flex supply line, ballcock, johnny bolts, and a wax ring. Shut the water off, disconnect the old supply line, flush the bowl so most of the water comes out of the tank. Take the two nuts off that are holding the bowl to the floor. Lift the whole bowl off. Get rid of any old wax ring that is still on the floor. Put the new wax ring down and lower the new bowl straight down on it. (easy enough). Install ballcock by following instructions, install supply line (go hand tight plus 1/2 turn or so with channelocks). Turn water on and test for leaks. DONE!
I was able to do this when i was 10, so it should be easy enough for you.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
and the winner is.........EMAN2289! *ding! ding! ding! ding!

at 12 years old you dont want to go through all that work of replacing the tank and not the bowl. its like replacing the crank bearings in a 7m but not rebuilding the whole motor. your work is half way done with the toilet, just hella cheaper. its already there. just spend another 70 or so dollars for a new one.

ed.d.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have a bucket that Vonda makes me take out and empty every other day.

We're hoping to get running water next year. My cousins Shaniqua and Shinaenae got running water earlier this month and we don't live that far from them.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
slidebabyslide;930586 said:
Ok, so my toilet tank has a crack and it's leaking water. I went to home-depo and other home improvement stores and non of them carry the brand i have(Crane pluming). I ask one of the home depo employees if i can just replace the toilet tank with a different brand, they told me i can't. Well do i have to find the same toilet i have? Can i just use a toilet tank from another crane pluming toilet? How do i find out were my toilet part number is at?
My toilet is about 12 years old. Thanks. :naughty:

Easyer and faster and better to just change out with a new tolit.. home depot 99 bucks ? hehehe

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
eman2289;930835 said:
Ive been doing plumbing with my dad's company since I was 9. The number should be on the inside of the tank, but at 12 years old, you are better off replacing it. All you will need is the bowl/tank, flex supply line, ballcock, johnny bolts, and a wax ring. Shut the water off, disconnect the old supply line, flush the bowl so most of the water comes out of the tank. Take the two nuts off that are holding the bowl to the floor. Lift the whole bowl off. Get rid of any old wax ring that is still on the floor. Put the new wax ring down and lower the new bowl straight down on it. (easy enough). Install ballcock by following instructions, install supply line (go hand tight plus 1/2 turn or so with channelocks). Turn water on and test for leaks. DONE!
I was able to do this when i was 10, so it should be easy enough for you.

Hahaha...tHANKS.
Oks... so i purchased all new gaskets and i found a tank. Thanks :icon_razz

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I called a plumber for ya, he'll be there sometime between 12:00 pm today and next Thursday. He'll look like this.

sm_photo_missing.jpg