Any pictures of 3 or 4" exhausts?

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Im in the middle of doing my 4" exhaust and im looking for pictures of other ppl's setups to see how their exhaust sits in comparison to my own. To me it seems like it is sitting very low, but its litteraly as tight to the chassis as i can make it without touching.

If you have any under car shots of how the piping is routed and sits against the chassis please post them up!

Thanks
Ryan

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Biggest problem I've seen with exhausts that hang low is either they don't have all their hangers in place or their using rubber bands (the big annoying elastic bands for the hangers) that are WAY too long because they were too frustrated with the RIGHT length for hanging and wanted more room for installation. I'd check both of those things first. There should be a hanger off the muffler, at the diff, and right near where the cat would be for sure, but I haven't been down there in a little while.

I've got a 3" turbo back on my car and my exhaust tucks up nicely. On Tein suspension (I believe it's between 1 1/2" and 2" drop) I never have a problem with exhaust on speedbumps etc unless they are monster speedbumps from hell, in which case I'm actually afraid of bottoming out the car, not the exhaust.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I havnt started on the back section of the exhaust yet. I just finished up the downpipe, and now going to work on the up pipe. I was hoping to see some pics of other ppls setups to give me an idea if this is just how low the exhaust is suppose to sit. I will be making all of my own mounts and i wont be using those stock rubber grommets thats for sure. I want the exhaust to be pretty ridged.

Thanks
Ryan

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
If you really want to tuck the exhaust up tight, and aren't afraid of spending a bit more (it's not cheap), check this out:

http://www.drgas.com/oval_tubing.htm

This is how we squeezed 4" exhaust (and a couple of 5" systems for some really insane builds) under lowered MKIV's at the shop when we were building them.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had looked into some oval tubing, but it is definitly out of my price range right now. The car isnt going to be slammed, but will have a lowered stance on 17" wheels. Im just worried that if it sits to low im going to constantly be fixing it because it hits everything in sight.

Do you have any pics of a 4" exhaust with round tubing?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'll try and snap some shots for you of my setup. It's a BIC divorced downpipe with a 3" version of his thunder exhaust back from there. One of my buddies actually has a problem with scraping his right where the downpipe (or down + up pipe) meet because it looks like it was dipped slightly too low in terms of the design. So that may be something to watch.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Ok, snapped some shots quickly just outside work with my phone, hopefully they'll help you with what you want.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm on 225/40/18's.

From the rear of the car:

20110228110919.jpg

Downpipe:

20110228111004.jpg

20110228111019.jpg

I know it's hard to see, but to the right of the picture, that's the test pipe:

20110228111120.jpg

Test pipe and downpipe connection, tucked up nicely :):

20110228111228.jpg

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
4" ETS catback with an AeroTurbine muffler
At the lowest setting on the Bilstein's and with the 18's with 285/35's on the rear, it's about 2.5" off the ground. Clears pretty much everything as long as you're aware it's that low.

091809181500.jpg

1001024r.jpg

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I have a 4" which is very tight to the subframe, more or less routed the same way as the other people who posted 4". On normal streets it's ok, but I always hit the piping right at where it goes underneath the subframe going in and out of the parking garage I am at because of the steep incline. It's quite annoying and I am planning to eventually switch to a dual 3" or smaller so that it doesn't hit.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Ricers....lol
I just got my 4" HKS Ti , LOL ! Though I didn't have the time to put it on...
Maybe next week...and I'll take pictures.

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
I'm digging this thread back up. I'm looking at fabricating a new exhaust for my mz21, replacing the ratty 3" mandrel mild steel system i have at the moment. Ground clearance is a priority, So I'm thinking along the lines of that split system utilizing both of the cutouts in the rear sub frame with the pipes converging afterwards into a single muffler. Do you have any pictures of your system IJ for some inspiration? Cheers mate.