Any of you guys raced a 350z

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
IndigoMKII;1914509 said:
I've beat one of these too.

with your list of mods, I certainly hope so.

One thing is for sure, there are plenty of 350's / 370's rolling around to play with on any given fri/sat night.
At ~10 psi it is usually an exciting competative race from a dig or a roll.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
bhmsupra;1914529 said:
with your list of mods, I certainly hope so.

One thing is for sure, there are plenty of 350's / 370's rolling around to play with on any given fri/sat night.
At ~10 psi it is usually an exciting competative race from a dig or a roll.

The 370 was kind of disappointing, I was expecting a little bit closer of a race. When we started, it was like a 30 roll, so I started in 2nd. Soon as 3rd hit, it was basically over. He didn't have much done either, the nismo package with headers and catback was all he said.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I raced a boosted one.

We were on the freeway and did two pulls from ~60 mph or so. I was in 4th for the first pull and he walked me a good part of 4th gear and I started catching up once in 5th.

For the second pull, I stabbed it from 3rd and put ~4+ cars on him to ~140 or so.

At that time, my car was making 367whp/345tq.

It was a good run.

momoney88

Sep 7, 2009
Florida
The wife has an auto 06 350, stock as they come, and I'm running several mods in my 88 w/60 trim & 5sp. She smokes me every time, but only when driving the 7mgte.

I raced a Nissan Infinite, it was red, Deep dish rims, and my little bro and I were being silly that night going to blockbuster, and friends houses.
My little brother was spying for nice cars like mine one night, and the road lights reflected off the paint on the few nice cars we spotted during the sunset in Tacoma, Washington. We would always stop at the lights with open availability in options to race.
We stopped at a red light on the straight main road, when a sparkly red Nissan Infinite with tinted windows pulled out of the safeway parking-lot ahead. The light turned green, and I creeped up on the stanced car. My little brother was embarassed that I honked my horn 3 times, but we both charged from the 3rd honk, side by side!
This was when my 1987 toyota supra 7mgte was completely stock. I had brake boosted, and was keeping up with it for about 5 seconds, then he pulled ahead.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
momoney88;1914593 said:
The wife has an auto 06 350, stock as they come, and I'm running several mods in my 88 w/60 trim & 5sp. She smokes me every time, but only when driving the 7mgte.

really? my friends 87 7mgte with a blown stock turbo that wouldnt hold 9 psi stayed side by side with a 350 til like 120

momoney88

Sep 7, 2009
Florida
IndigoMKII;1914604 said:
really? my friends 87 7mgte with a blown stock turbo that wouldnt hold 9 psi stayed side by side with a 350 til like 120

The 350 lost. I was driving it and she was driving my 7mgte.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
I used to work for Nissan and when the 350 first came out it was awesome. But then we realized all of its faults thought the next year or so.

So here they are:
1. Light weight chassis, but no real weight over the rear axle. (major insufficient traction depending on their setup, to stiff of a suspension for drag racing)

2. After # 1 being said, they do not have enough on the stock tires to hold traction for to long.(They are between a an 18" or a 20" stock rim)

So If you guys are stock-ish, I would be 2nd guessing racing 350Z or 370Z. Or use these suggestions on how to exploit them like racing from a dig. Where your stock blown suspension and added sidewall will help you launch better. Roll racing if you are not between 350-400ish would probably be a good race. After that it is all on your setup and tires.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
IndigoMKII;1914461 said:
well comparing the 350 to the na supra, of course the 350 is faster. now if that was the turbo supra, you might change your mind

This is the 7mge section, after all.

My 350z came with the crappiest tires I have ever owned. To be fair, they were summer tires, but even so they weren't that great in the summer. Below about 45F, they were hopeless to the point of being dangerous. I lost at least 1 race because I couldn't get any traction, so I gave up being provoked. And, woe is you if the TCS kicks in. It takes forever to turn back off. I know have good tires (and wider, too).

I thought the 350Z was closer to 50/50 F/R weight ratio than the Supra.