Any MK3 Turbo Autos running the AEM EMS?

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Hi folks, I need a little help here.

I switched from the Apex-i SAFC & AVCR to the Greddy Emanage blue & E01 and now to the MAF Translator Pro. The turbo has gone from the Greddy TD-06 20g to the GT4088 to a GT35R. The injectors have always been 550's, and the tranny is a built 7mgte.

I just dynoed and the first run was spot on with the past three times 364 hp 350 torque. With all the mods and having found a boost leak and repaired it this just didn't seem right. The guy at the dyno and the tuner both seemed to think that the piggy backs were my problem. They suggested getting a megasquirt or an AEM EMS. I checked into the AEM EMS before I decided on the MAFT Pro and was told that it wouldn't work on an MK3 auto tranny supra. They both seem to think that it shouldn't matter that the car is an auto trans since the AEM EMS wasn't controlling the tranny the stock ecu was and that the AEM would control everything else. There's 133,900 km's on the engine now.

The best run this time was 408 hp and 397 torque on 16 psi still a far cry from the 500 - 550 range that I and others thought the car should do.

Is anyone running the AEM EMS in their 3rd gen supra auto? I did a couple of searches but nothing turned up. I need to know if any MK3 owners that have an auto transmission supra are running the AEM EMS successfully now. It is strange that AEM and some dealers would both say that the AEM EMS won't work on MK3 Auto tranny supras.

AEM PART # 30-1130 NEW CONDITION

Fitment: TOYOTA Supra 89-92 Turbo (Manual Transmissions Only)

Thanks.

Last edited:

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
So i tried to read your mods and from what i understand (correct me if i'm wrong) you have bolted a heap of stuff on a stock block? What are you expecting to make on stock internals because the numbers yours is making are pretty good for what it is.

The turbo-a i bought had a lot of expensive items bolted on it and made the same hp yours did and i beat it with my built 7m useing only a stock ct 26 . That's just an example of the difference a fresh properly built engine will make, (not being a ass!)
How many klms has your motor done? Whats your compression like across all 6? What duration on your toda camshafts? What boost were you running for the 400hp?
Also the stock supra ect does use some signals from the ecu for various functions.
+ from ecu ignition.
L3,L2,L1, OD1
I forget if the TPS feed is direct from the sensor(under bonnet) or if its from the ecu.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The auto trans computer needs a couple of signals from the engine control unit. You should be able to send the signals over if you are going stand alone.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
wiseco7mgt;1476319 said:
So i tried to read your mods and from what i understand (correct me if i'm wrong) you have bolted a heap of stuff on a stock block? What are you expecting to make on stock internals because the numbers yours is making are pretty good for what it is.

The turbo-a i bought had a lot of expensive items bolted on it and made the same hp yours did and i beat it with my built 7m useing only a stock ct 26 . That's just an example of the difference a fresh properly built engine will make, (not being a ass!)
How many klms has your motor done? Whats your compression like across all 6? What duration on your toda camshafts? What boost were you running for the 400hp?
Also the stock supra ect does use some signals from the ecu for various functions.
+ from ecu ignition.
L3,L2,L1, OD1
I forget if the TPS feed is direct from the sensor(under bonnet) or if its from the ecu.

The TODA's are 256 and moved the power band up 400 rpm.
Compression is good across all 6 and PSI was 16.
So in your opinion should I build the bottom end?
or switch from MAFT Pro to AEM EMS assuming it can work properly on the 7mgte?
or should I swap the built 133,900 km auto 7mgte for a stock low km's 1jz auto?
or swap the nipdenso 550's for a set of 720's?
or a combination of some of these?

Last edited:

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
You have many options but that's all really personal choice, if you have already spent on a 7m you may as well stay with it,
yes a properly built 7m would be great but you have to spend a few dollars.

The 1jz is a debate i don't want to get into, some people pull themselves over them. Myself i owned a good one with 200rwkw with a built auto but didn't like the feel of it in a heavy car like the ma70, i'd like to own one in a ma61 i'm sure i'd love it then.

You can manualise the auto tranny with a shift kit or a aftermarket tranny controller so you don't really need the ecu to control it.
Whats wrong with 408rwhp?
Don't stress about numbers on a dyno, if the car feels fast and makes you happy leave it alone.