any good n/a builds??

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
ive been searching the forums for any good lengthy n/a build threads. ive tried alot of different tags but nothing good comes up. anybody know any good ones? post a link up.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Defiant 7M has one. He actually posted recently too in a thread called "200 RWHP", but who knows what's up with him :D

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I don't know your level of experience so I apologize for treating you like you are a noob. I can offer you this advice on your build.

First step in any build is deciding what type of motor you are going to build. Is it going to be a stock daily driver or a mid power street racer or a all out track runner. The more power you crank out of the motor the shorter the life-span of the motor. And the more you increase the power of the motor the less the reliability of the motor. Two words will determine your build: Acceptable risks. What risks are you willing to take to achieve your goal. You know that with more power comes more work and money to keep the motor running. So what are you willing to do to keep the motor running.

With any build have the machine work done. Have the head and block checked out it's cheaper than having to rebuild your motor the second time due to defects in the head or block. Also have the crank and piston assemblies checked out too. The machinist will become a very important source of information for the build. He will be able to tell you what type of parts you will need for the build.

7m's love to spin bearings because of low oil. The oil pump will suck the oil pan dry under high RPM's. I personally increased the amount of oil from 4 quarts to 6 quarts. Replace your oil pressure gauge. The one in the dash is inaccurate. Use a cooper oil pressure line under the hood instead of the cheap plastic hose that comes with the gauge. But don't throw it away it will be needed later. Get a cooper fitting to join the two hoses together so you can put the new oil pressure gauge anywhere inside the car.

Also 7M's love to blow head gaskets. Mainly because the torque specs for the head bolts were wrong. We can only hope the man responsible for so many BHG's commited ritual suicide on the plant floor and rewrote the new torque specs in his own blood before dying. I've read they should be torqued anywhere between 65 to 75 Ft lbs. I have mine at 70.

And always have a spare core motor because you might need it for parts or to rebuild later on.

Damn I've become a long winded SOB in my old age....

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
labrat469;880754 said:
I don't know your level of experience so I apologize for treating you like you are a noob. I can offer you this advice on your build.

First step in any build is deciding what type of motor you are going to build. Is it going to be a stock daily driver or a mid power street racer or a all out track runner. The more power you crank out of the motor the shorter the life-span of the motor. And the more you increase the power of the motor the less the reliability of the motor. Two words will determine your build: Acceptable risks.....

Very good and useful information. I would listen to this guy, along with many of the others here at Supramania.com

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Ma70.Ent;878945 said:
Defiant 7M has one. He actually posted recently too in a thread called "200 RWHP", but who knows what's up with him :D
Still going:biglaugh: I quess you would call my build extreme...no it is extreme! Updates very soon.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
DEFIANT 7M;881569 said:
Still going:biglaugh: I quess you would call my build extreme...no it is extreme! Updates very soon.

Can't wait for those updates. I've been waiting for awhile, haha.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I had no idea it's been THAT long. Whoa. Hopefully we can see some decent dyno sheets too.

DEFIANT 7M

Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Ma70.Ent;881575 said:
I had no idea it's been THAT long. Whoa. Hopefully we can see some decent dyno sheets too.
Man when I started my son was eleven and I was married!!! :aigo: Time just flew by. We had some assembly issues but everything is looking good now.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
DEFIANT 7M;881577 said:
Man when I started my son was eleven and I was married!!! :aigo: Time just flew by. We had some assembly issues but everything is looking good now.

What kind of assembly issues? Just for future reference.

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
very useful info. i plan on just building the motor to be reliable.something that will still go for another 10 yrs. im not looking to make a whole lot of power out of it. i'll just do some minor upgrades like k&n intake, new exhaust, maybe in the future new headers. but as far as a racing motor definitly not. i'll be daily driving it everyday. school,work,anywhere. i have a "BHG job" thread that i started but i ran into some family issues and financial issues so i had to put everything on hold but now im back. im looking to spend as little money as possible but at the same time do things the right way and if that means i have to sacrifice more money then expected then i'll do it,cuz in the long run it will pay off. thanks again everyone.

p.s. lets try not to change the topic of the thread. thanks.

DEFIANT 7M

Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
AJ'S 88NA;881721 said:
What kind of assembly issues? Just for future reference.
Clearance issues. The rods have a helleva swing. With my stroke it pulls the piston so far down you see a portion of the skirt!

DEFIANT 7M

Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
wchico15;881882 said:
very useful info. i plan on just building the motor to be reliable.something that will still go for another 10 yrs. im not looking to make a whole lot of power out of it. i'll just do some minor upgrades like k&n intake, new exhaust, maybe in the future new headers. but as far as a racing motor definitly not. i'll be daily driving it everyday. school,work,anywhere. i have a "BHG job" thread that i started but i ran into some family issues and financial issues so i had to put everything on hold but now im back. im looking to spend as little money as possible but at the same time do things the right way and if that means i have to sacrifice more money then expected then i'll do it,cuz in the long run it will pay off. thanks again everyone.

p.s. lets try not to change the topic of the thread. thanks.

Man I hear you. Just get the basic items. But get coated bearings and a good quality ring set and gaskets. If you get extra money splurge but don't go broke for the sake of hp. Basic details will pay big in the end. A very clean rebuild will last a lot longer than 10 years. I have spare stuff if you need something and I have it your welcome to it.