Any experience with '95 Celica 5 speed tranny?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Looks like I've stumbled across a chance to pick up a 95 celica with a bad 5 speed transmission for $350. Body's in great shape, 144k miles, and there are no other known problems except that is smells like an ashtray from some previously heavy smoking owners. This could be a great car for me to drive while I do my 7M build or just to flip... maybe.

My friend who owns it now has the transmission unbolted most of the way, but is afraid to drop it because he doesn't have a jack. Well, I can get ahold of a jack, but I have a couple of questions:

1. I have never worked on a fwd transmission. How hard would it be to swap? Any words of wisdom at all?

2. Any suggestions on sourcing a replacement locally?

3. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Its Not too hard personally I think FWD trannys are more complicated then RWD. That year of celica has the 5s which is also in the 2nd gen na mr2s so you can get a Tranny from or a base model Camry not sure if those came 5 speed.

Check out some celica boards for parts and more support.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I took a look at the car tonight, and it is in GREAT condition! '95 GT with paint/clearcoat that looks as good as could be and overall the interior was very good. Compression on all four cylinders was near perfect, and the engine bay looked pretty damn clean. Tires are new, new amp, newly bought 6 disc changer (original), new battery, Sirius receiver & antenna. The only bad was cracked windshield, broken driver's side back window, snapped radio antenna and of course, a bad tranny.

Price is now $300. I could recoup that instantly by parting it out, but I think this will become my DD. :)

Seriously, if anybody knows of a good "How To" on the transmission swap and/or changing out the driver's side back window, I would really appreciate the reference. Same thing with sourcing a transmission locally. And yes, I'm burning up google for this stuff. ;)

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
i did a clutch on my 93 accord and thought it was relatively easy... the only hard part is lining up th einput shaft on the cluthc disk...mite neeed another person...i've done numerous fwd auto trannies at work to and find them pretty easy, but i think rwd is usually easier.except dakota's

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Shytheed Dumas said:
Seriously, if anybody knows of a good "How To" on the transmission swap and/or changing out the driver's side back window, I would really appreciate the reference. Same thing with sourcing a transmission locally. And yes, I'm burning up google for this stuff. ;)
Pull engine and tranny as one unit, separate outside of engine bay. 10x easier than taking the tranny out in the car.

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
annoyingrob said:
Pull engine and tranny as one unit, separate outside of engine bay. 10x easier than taking the tranny out in the car.

Yep Wifes car is MK3 Camry 2.2 clutch was fried so I replaced engine with new clutch attached removed as 1 unit due to subframe set up

On the ST202 Celica's just pull the box from engine easy job

Heres the camry TRSM http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/

Download the 5 spd section same basic layout for the 5SFE

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
pull whole engine as others have stated. Just keep a reminder to self where wires will need to be plugged in to save the headache later. Better note sell the car to me for 400

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I was a little disappointed in the EPA mileage rating: 25/17, I think. Its stil a little better than the Supra and I'm hoping to get away with less than premium gas at the pumps. Plus, I won't be worrying about as much wear and tear on my first love!

I'm going to try to arrange to have it towed home and after I get it there I'll show you what I got for $300. :naughty:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
While the motor is out anyway, why not put in a 3SGTE or a *MZ V6? Then when that's done rebuild the Supra. It'd still make a great DD, the swaps are fairly well documented, beastly sleeper, V6 is a really, really common motor so parts would be easy to come by.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PGGN_6MmPeg -V6

There are a bunch of 3SGTE videos, just search youtube.com. If you want to see the capabilities of the V6, search V6 MR2. One of them (I think the 1MZ) has Supra-strong internals ;]

Last edited:

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Shytheed Dumas said:
Yeah, I was a little disappointed in the EPA mileage rating: 25/17, I think. Its stil a little better than the Supra and I'm hoping to get away with less than premium gas at the pumps.

wrd. I'm hovering at just above the E mark, fill up with regular @ ~$2.85/gallon and it's only ~$32 for 11.5 gallons lasting me maybe a little more than a week depending on how much I drive.

I didn't get 17MPG highway though. Only way you can really get that is if you're gunning it at 100MPH (~5000RPM) the whole way. Other than that, you'll see maybe ~25MPG(+/-) highway if you're cruising at limit.

BTW: I wonder how many MK3 owners also own a Celica of some generation....

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Got Boost? said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH
BTW: I wonder how many MK3 owners also own a Celica of some generation....

Molested fourth gen ST =]

Currently planning some crazy shit, RWD 7M conversion, maybe 1UZ, maybe 3SGTE or maybe keep fail wheel drive, or maybe FWD *MZ... Too many options lol

8 days til MkIII =]

Shytheed Dumas said:
Thanks Quin, but I promised my wife I'd just get this one up and running and keep the mods to the Supra. One money pit's enough for me, anyway. ;)

Shucks =[

Btw, my friend has a 94 5spd, pretty sure it's a 5SFE, he gets +/- 35 mixed driving with a heavy foot. Maybe not a 5SFE? I pwned his face w/ my 89 3SFE w/ 283k on the clock, maybe he doesn't have the 5S? I don't know. Just throwing it out there

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
annoyingrob said:
I had a MKIII celica up to about a month ago. That's an RA60 for you uninitiated.

I sold it to someone who needed it more than me. God I miss that car.

I'm sad to hear that, that thing was hellaciously sweet.

AWD conversions are wicked hard... And, typically, FWD Celicas with 3SGTEs run two or three whole seconds faster in a quarter mile. Waste of money to do a conversion... I still want one but they're even harder to find than a Supra in Indiana

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Quin said:
I'm sad to hear that, that thing was hellaciously sweet.

:)
No%20more%20spraypaint.JPG

With the full Supra interior

Black%20Dash.JPG

And now I've totally derailed the topic.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Here are the pics of my new DD. $300 Cash!!!! :naughty: 144k on the clock, and it's as good as can be for a 95. Like I said, only the tranny, rear 1/4 glass, antenna and cracked windshield are wrong. I guess I'll have to wash her up and install the radio and center cover, too.

I picked up a tranny with 94k on it for $350 yesterday, too. I'm hoping to be on the road next Weds so the Supie can go down officially for the rebuild. :x:

p827815_1.jpg

p827815_2.jpg

p827815_3.jpg

p827815_4.jpg

p827815_5.jpg

p827815_6.jpg