Any Camera Guru's here..?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Just curious to see if anyone here is into their photography. I've finally jumped from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC43 (due to it refusing to use anything but the most charged batteries, chewing them up and then refusing to ever work with them again), to a Canon EOS 450D.

I've used film based SLR's before with a wide range of lenses, flashguns, filters etc, but this is an EPICALLY GOOD camera!

It's taken me a WEEK just to figure out all the cool tricks detailed in the manual, like tone effects, live mode AF drive etc...

I'll upload some pics later on in the week once i have something worth photographing!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
dammit kai, that's the camera i've had my eye on a while now :) lets see some pics!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
pretty awesome, explain the remote view a little more. i'm guessing it feeds video to a separate screen somewhere allowing you to take pics from where you are?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Clip;1235391 said:
pretty awesome, explain the remote view a little more. i'm guessing it feeds video to a separate screen somewhere allowing you to take pics from where you are?

Well, normally, you take pictures by looking through the viewfinder, but in the 'creative' modes on the camera, you can hit the 'set' button to use the LCD to see what you're taking a picture of, much like a point & shoot. Thing is you have to focus separately by hitting the (*) button before you shoot.

Remote Live View is similar in the sense that once plugged into the computer, the camera can be completely controlled by software. So, i mounted it on the tripod, placed it on the desk, and fired up the EOS Utility.

Voila, you can now take pictures remotely, using the computer as a shutter controller, as well as manually adjusting picture options on the fly, such as tonal qualities like Sepia, Blues, Greens, Reds, Monochromatic etc and manual focus, if you're so inclined.

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Do you have a flickr account? Here's mine if you wanna check it out. Nothing special yet, but my friends have some great shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/healthpotion/
Just some random stuff
3226529457_555a3b3b01.jpg

3227897238_9bb2849b63.jpg

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Kai;1235728 said:
Well, normally, you take pictures by looking through the viewfinder, but in the 'creative' modes on the camera, you can hit the 'set' button to use the LCD to see what you're taking a picture of, much like a point & shoot. Thing is you have to focus separately by hitting the (*) button before you shoot.

Live View is neat, but it focuses wayyyy too slow, and if you change the custom setting and do the quick-focus Live view, the shutter closes for it to focus.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I've had the camera for months and still haven't fired up the live view. Just haven't seen the benefit to it for what/how I shoot.