Anti-Lock light is on

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
my anti-lock light is on...i think i might need some new brake pads...but i'm not sure. it been on ever since i bought back in January 2004 but i'm not quite sure what it is. :icon_conf

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Hmm.. I was under the impression that the E-brake light comes on when your pads are low, not the antilock light. Wouldn't make much sense to use the antilock light, as not all cars came equipped with the antilock option, and leaving the warning out on cars not so equipped would be a little silly. :)

I'd say check that the speed sensor to the tranny is plugged in... and likewise with the front sensors. After you check for codes, as garrettrowe mentions. :)

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
GrimJack said:
Hmm.. I was under the impression that the E-brake light comes on when your pads are low, not the antilock light. Wouldn't make much sense to use the antilock light, as not all cars came equipped with the antilock option, and leaving the warning out on cars not so equipped would be a little silly. :)

I'd say check that the speed sensor to the tranny is plugged in... and likewise with the front sensors. After you check for codes, as garrettrowe mentions. :)

oh yeah that what happened to my truck when my pads were low...the e-brake light came on...me bad.

Arther3

Remember SOGI? I do
Apr 1, 2005
Starkville, MS
www.cardomain.com
there is no sensor that tells you when you're pads are low. there is only a sensor for the e-brake handle and the fluid level in the brake master cylinder. if your pads get low enough, the level will go down causing this light to come on.

do i stand corrected?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Could be a broken wire on either front wheel abs sensor or the sensor in the tranny is broken, missing, or not wired in. The abs light would not be triggered by low fluid or old pads. The abs light comes on when the abs system has a problem collecting speed info from the sensors.

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
well my pads are still really good...i just check them...but my abs lights goes off when i feel something in my brakes..it get kind of hard and it feels like some thing just came out of place...but when they are normal again the abs light come back on...plus my brakes squeek..some thing is wrong with the abs system.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Well, from what you are describing it may be prudent to take the car to someone who can correctly diagnose the problem rather then having your brakes go out and you causing an accident. If you know the brakes are bad and you keep driving and someone gets killed........

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
bigaaron said:
Well, from what you are describing it may be prudent to take the car to someone who can correctly diagnose the problem rather then having your brakes go out and you causing an accident. If you know the brakes are bad and you keep driving and someone gets killed........

yea i know i'm goin to get it checked out at the Toyota Dealer or something...SOON

Ramkand

RMX TL
Apr 1, 2005
Mill Creek WA
My E-brake light came on last week, I thought it was my low pads and rusty rotors from the car sittin' for 8 yrs. NOT!!!

The bolt on the top of the drivers side caliper had backed itself completly out!!

I grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled twisted off the smooth cap, then wrenched it back into place. light went out.