Another GD post on springs and struts

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Ok, I swear I've read nearly every post on struts and springs at least it feels that way. Still have questions.
I aquired this 91 targa about 1.5 years ago. It had a JDM engine installed but decided to go ahead and pull it not knowing for sure what condition it was in, it was not running when I got it. Anyway, it came with Tanabe GF210 springs still in the box and Toyo Proxy 4's with stickers on them. Using the stock wheels, stripped them and power coated metalic bronze. Before the engine was finished, installed new rotors, pads, brake fluid, any and all worn, bent or broken suspension parts and of course used the Tanabe springs . Removed the TEMS and installed KYB GR-2s. Replaced all strut boots with integrated bump stops. After getting the car on the road, soon found out that the car was basically sitting on the bump stops so there was no shock action going on.
After getting the engine installed and running after troubleshooting a few problems, it turned out that the piston rings never got seated properly, sooo, am pulling the engine again just as soon as the weather turns better in the spring to give it new rings. In the mean time I intend to do what I can reasonably do in the weather we are presently having (MN) which is fix the suspension. The way I understand it GR-2s are simply stock replacements which are probably fine but are looking to probably replace them, more to match the springs. Tokico Illuminas II are stock replacements for the TEMS which would probably work just fine. Konis should also work just fine. I'm not going with coilovers cuz its a DD and I'm not a suspension tuning expert plus the springs are crying out to be used.
For lowered springs shouldn't shorter stroke struts be used? Or does it not really matter? I have not found a source for those if they exist. I know the use of bump stops are manditory but I haven't had much luck either finding a source for shorter stops so the shocks still have action. Bilstein struts have three positions to them which I've seen it claimed that they can lower the height of the car. I thought the springs set the height, unless the Bilsteins adjustment is on the lower spring base then that would make sense, if that is the case I can't see using them unless finer tuning would want to be achieved.
Just thinking aloud here, the GR-2 might be just fine if I can find shorter bump stops which I will need for any of the struts anyway, but no adjustments. Koni's ok, have three manual rebound adjustments. Tokico's ok, TEMS which is cool. Bilstein ok, three height adjustments no change in rebound. Am I on the right track? Have I missed anything?
Any suggestions or comments welcome.
IMG_2658.jpg

100_1302.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
::w00t:: another member from MN!!!!! As for your question (s) IDK. I have my eibach lowering springs on my oem struts

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Are you sure that the car is not sitting on cut springs. That is the cheap dumb ass lowering method. Your lowering springs may just raise the car.

A few comments on the car. First, please don't do that hood. Second, the car looks way too aggressive to not have a spoiler. It is your car, so you need only to please yourself. The car otherwise looks really good. Jus my .02

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
Code:
Are you sure that the car is not sitting on cut springs.
Springs are definately not cut, they are brand new Tanabes.

Code:
That is the cheap dumb ass lowering method.
Definitely, You're preaching to the choir on that one.

Code:
A few comments on the car. First, please don't do that hood.
LOL, the first time I drove the car to work, a couple of co-workers desided to help out with there own mod. which was cardboard and painters tape, I got a kick out of it, had to take a picture of it. I thought they did a pretty good job in the 10 mins I was gone.

IMG_2656.jpg IMG_2659.jpg

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
So what's your question?

You have some lowering springs? You need shocks?

That's easy, get Koni's if you want rebound adjustability, get illumina's if you want to use TEMS and get Bilsteins if you want awesome shocks. Not that Koni's aren't good dampers.