Another Ebay Item 3" Exhaust??

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I know all the pros and cons of ebay... I have been buying and selling on ebay for 10 years, there are good, bad, cheap, quality etc... so I came upon this below, as I was contemplating building an exhaust from scratch, using non-polished stainless, as I did not want to spend $500 on an exhaust system...

The item below comes from a seller who's email is cooper0813@yahoo.com appears to be in CA, he has sold 2158 items (1200 in the last 12 months) with a feedback score of 99.4% positive so all looks good there... products is made of 304 stainless and is from the down-pipe back, so includes the test pipe. All for $295 includes shipping...

Any opinions would be appreciated, I understand that HKS is the best known and widely used... just don't think the best place to spend that kind of money (imo) so I am looking for feedback about concerns of quality or fitment... I asked for pics and he sent me several pics installed in a Mark III so theoretically I have verification that it fits...

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230430405623&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
For the price, it's probably a knock off of something else, and quality is going to be an issue (fitment, muffler actually doing anything, and especially the materials and welding).

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Even if the fitment/finish is good, that muffler probably won't be muffling much. It's probably filled with fiberglass that will blow out quick.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Thanks for the honest replies, those were some of my concerns as well...

What are anyone's thoughts on building one? I have built others, both 4" for Cummins diesels... I was going to match oem for fitment, but use all mandrel bends of course. I have access to an dknow how to use a Tig welder and was just going to buy the stainless pipe pieces... but I know that the aftermarket setups do not follow the same route, will the increase in OD interfere or is it just to avoid the drastic bends even if mandrel style?

If I just breakdown and buy one, any recommendations outside of HKS?

Thanks!

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Sorry for repeat - site listed an error did not look like it posted... so of course I tried it again :)

Thanks for the honest replies, those were some of my concerns as well...

What are anyone's thoughts on building one? I have built others, both 4" for Cummins diesels... I was going to match oem for fitment, but use all mandrel bends of course. I have access to and know how to use a Tig welder and was just going to buy the stainless pipe pieces... but I know that the aftermarket setups do not follow the same route, will the increase in OD interfere or is it just to avoid the drastic bends even if mandrel style?

If I just breakdown and buy one, any recommendations outside of HKS?

Thanks!

Last edited:

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
It uses V-band flanges with gaskets!!!!, v-bands arent supposed to use gaskets, that is why they are great....I have tried to use those cheap china made v-bands and they definatly dont seal or even tighten enough...I guess thats why they have gaskets, but those wont last long being so small in diameter...good luck!

BTW, BIC should have a budget 3" catback out in the next few weeks.