Another clutch problem thread..

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Hmm... seems like there should be an easier way to check that.

Jerry rig a spring on the slave so it doesn't pop all the way out, then measure how much rod movement you get when pushing on the pedal? Compare to another member's car?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
OK, just put the new pressure plate back in with the old disc and it works FINE. Shifts into every gear without problems. Slave cylinder travel looks to be about 1/2 inch. Does this sound right to anyone?

I didn't have the driveshaft connected but this wouldnt matter would it?

What gives?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, that leaves you with one of two possibilities.

Either there is something wrong with the new disc... or there was a gremlin that has been exorcised by taking it apart and putting it together one more time.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Yea I don't know what it could be. I marked the flywheel and pressure plate before I took it apart and put it back together in the same place. Release bearing was put together right. And like I said, the real only noticeable differences between the stock disc and the new one are the new one being approx 2mm thicker, smaller in diameter than the oem, and the disc hub facing the flywheel being shorter on the new one. :dunno:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Did you tighten the PP bolts 1 after another, or use a pattern as if installing a wheel on a car?

Maybe 2mm is too much thicker, and everything else is working properly, and you just don't get enough travel to completely separate it from the flywheel.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I tightened the PP bolts down in increments. Tighten one a little bit, turn flywheel, tighten, turn, tighten, turn, etc...until the pp was fully seated against the flywheel.

When I put the clutch in before I did it out of the car so I actually tightened and torqued it in a star pattern, and then put the trans on.

Anyone have a new disc out of their car that can measure its total thickness (pucks included)?

At it's thickest point, mine is 9mm.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Send a message to one of the vendors... they will likely have one in stock that they are willing to open and put a mic on for you.

I'm willing to put money on that being the wrong disc, whether the spline pattern is right or not.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I just got off the phone with Action, he said the thickness for the disc is 8.13mm with the marcel springs compressed. I just went and compressed the disc and it is about the same- 8.1-2mm.. ugh..

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
OK, it's something with the disc...

Just put the new disk back in and it's the same story..I can get it into all gears (but I assume thats because the driveshaft isn't connected) and it grinds reverse..

Only guess I have is the disc has excessive runout..

AHHHHH! :: angry ::

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I talked to the manufacturer. They pretty much just told me to try and get more travel out of the slave cylinder. I have tried adjusting the rod on the slave out quite a few turns to where it had no slack at all and it didn't help.

The only other way I can think to get more travel would be to stick some sort of shim into the cup that the slave rod fits in to, but I'm worried this would cause some kind of binding of the release bearing hub.

Any suggestions?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, you can always set the pedal height as high as it will go and then set the freeplay to nearly zero.

Of course this goes against all the specs as freeplay is there to compensate for heat in the system (drive really aggressice and you'd be surprised ho much heat gets into the system and lowers the freeplay)

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I might give that a try. I'm wondering if a SS clutch line would help at all too, although I can't see the rubber line swelling as it is..

I really think the disc has a little bit too much runout in one are (IE-it's bent). It looks like one pad and about half of another one are the ones rubbing on the flywheel when the clutch is released. I don't have a fixture to mount the disc on or a dial indicator to check runout myself and every machine shop or dealership in town either couldn't do it or had NFI what I was talking about..

The seller is trying to get me to do everything I can try before sending the disc back to him to get it checked out. He gets a local shop to build them and he just sells the clutches..

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Ok..Just to prove I am competent and didn't just imagine anything, I'll put this thread to rest...hopefully. Shipped the clutch back to the builder and apparently the disc was bent. He guessed someone had dropped it before I got it and said it was bent pretty bad. They straightened it back out and are shipping it back to me for $40.. Not that bad I guess.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
WhtMa71;1504559 said:
Ok..Just to prove I am competent and didn't just imagine anything, I'll put this thread to rest...hopefully. Shipped the clutch back to the builder and apparently the disc was bent. He guessed someone had dropped it before I got it and said it was bent pretty bad. They straightened it back out and are shipping it back to me for $40.. Not that bad I guess.

You're a pretty understanding guy if this is the case. Shouldn't they by paying you $40 for this damned mess?

BTW, I've never heard of a bent clutch disk in all my years of spinning wrenches. Kudos to you for figuring it out!

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Seems that should be the case..but the thing is I bought this clutch secondhand. The guy I bought it from never used it but still somehow managed to bend the disc.. To reproduce this clutch kit I was quoted $450. I bought it for $200 shipped.

I've never heard of a bent disc either...

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
WhtMa71;1505560 said:
Seems that should be the case..but the thing is I bought this clutch secondhand. The guy I bought it from never used it but still somehow managed to bend the disc.. To reproduce this clutch kit I was quoted $450. I bought it for $200 shipped.

I've never heard of a bent disc either...

These are the things that make you want to hang up the wrenches.

Hopefully your next post will be of a new clutch that works.