Another bellhousing Confusion

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Has anyone gotten away with using the stock 7m R154 bellhousing? I just talked to this guy who just completed his 1j-ma70 swap and he said he reused the stock bellhousing. He claimed it fit and it bolted right up. He said he used a 1jz starter....

I've read time and time again that a 1J bellhousing must be used when reusing the stock r154.

It looks like a few bolts would line up, but obviously not all? Am I missing something here?

Just wondering if anyone has tried using a stock 7m/r154 bellhousing on a 1J. or if its even possible, and somehow this guys messing with me, or holding up his tranny with 3 bolts. :aigo:

heres a pic courtesy of tlo86

p975521_1.jpg

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I could be wrong, but I think the JZ bolts to mount the tranny to the block are a bigger diameter and wont fit through the 7M bellhousing.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
the JZ block is not only thicker but has different mounting bolts. you need a jz bellhousing thats why i still have the R154 / 7M bellhousing right next to a brand new 1jzgte/r154 bellhousing and my 2jzgte a few feet away :) wouldn't have bought the 250ish bellhousing if it were possible to use. none of the bolts would match up.

the guy is either full of shit or he already had a 1jz bellhousing on his transmission.

i used a 2jz starter (i bought for a n/a mkiv a few years ago) w/ 1jz flywheel

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
jmcboost;975539 said:
I could be wrong, but I think the JZ bolts to mount the tranny to the block are a bigger diameter and wont fit through the 7M bellhousing.

no they are the same sizes you just use them in different locations. half of the bolts i used were from my past transmission replacements on my 7mgte/a340e

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
I agree with you all and made the same arguments, but whatever, my 1jz bellhousing is already on its way. When I do my swap, I'll try lining the two bellhousings up with the motor and take some pics to confirm.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
jnianekeo;975554 said:
I agree with you all and made the same arguments, but whatever, my 1jz bellhousing is already on its way. When I do my swap, I'll try lining the two bellhousings up with the motor and take some pics to confirm.

you'll notice the physical differences as well. if you saw my other pics i compared to where the started bolten onto the block the JZ is a lot thicker and compensation for it would be made in the bellhousing being smaller as speeds image shows.