Another 7MGTE that CRANKS but wont START/RUN

Prettyazznouka

Oct 17, 2007
NYC
Ill give a bit of background info first....

Donor Car - 91 MK3 Na Auto swapped to 5spd and 7mgte ran and drove before we pulled the motor/tranny

Receiver - 90 MK3 5spd Turbo shell has everything attached just needed engine and tranny thats been sitting for maybe a couple of years.

The motor ran nicely before being pulled. We dropped it in and everything was connected and bolted up. Using an auto ecu (since it was on the donor car)

This is the 1st time I am actually doing a swap myself (with help) so I am still learning. :)
I did a pass and everything seems to be connected properly, all the vacuum lines, fuel lines, piping ect ect ect. The battery is low so i jumped it with my other car and it cranks n sounds strong but it wont start. I kind of smell gas but not 100%. Everything else seems to work... windows, interior lights, horn, headlights, dash lights when the key is turned. I was thinking about putting 2 more gallons of gas in the car???? Ecu clicks when the key is turned, does not feel hot or anything doesnt smell like its burning.

I dont have a scanner to check codes so thats out.... Are theyre any things to do and look for? From what I researched I hear guys say check the CPS, check spark plugs to see if there is spark, and fuel. I was thinking of taking off the fuel line to see if any gas comes out. Like i said this car was sitting for years so it should be bone dry. Timing should be fine we did not touch it while doing the swap. No fuses are blown. My friend is the 7m expert but like I said, I rather do it myself so I can learn.

THANKS

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Here is a quick list of things you can easily check to help us help you.
1.Make sure you have all the ECU grounds connected to the intake manifold. You cant miss them its about 6 wires that all go into a single ring connector. Make sure that is bolted to a good ground.

2.Does the check engine light come on when you turn you key to Run? If not your ecu isn't getting power. If it dose then great well move on.

3.Check you codes Via the instruction's that gilbertmk3 posted up. count the number of times the check engine blinks for instance if it blinks 2 blinks short pause 4 blinks long pause you have code 24.

After you have done these let us know what you find. Hopefully we will find something obvious.

Prettyazznouka

Oct 17, 2007
NYC
Crypton2006;1563350 said:
Here is a quick list of things you can easily check to help us help you.
1.Make sure you have all the ECU grounds connected to the intake manifold. You cant miss them its about 6 wires that all go into a single ring connector. Make sure that is bolted to a good ground.

2.Does the check engine light come on when you turn you key to Run? If not your ecu isn't getting power. If it dose then great well move on.

3.Check you codes Via the instruction's that gilbertmk3 posted up. count the number of times the check engine blinks for instance if it blinks 2 blinks short pause 4 blinks long pause you have code 24.

After you have done these let us know what you find. Hopefully we will find something obvious.

Thanks for the tip. The CEL does not come on, so it has to be a ground thats not connected. I will look for that and ground it. However I can hear the ecu click when the key is turned to start the car.

lowtaco;1563474 said:
Also check your EFI fuse in the lower kick panel.... I went over everything and spent a week of pulling my hair out and it was a damn fuse.

Havent even thought of that! I will check those fuses. We hardwired the fuel pump to the battery and it did not come on. So im guessing the FP is dead, ordered me a walbro and see what happens.
Also when we tried to power the FP thru the diagnostic , the FP resistor started buzzing...