Annoying problem, still not finding the solution. HELP

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
Okay, so my particular problem has been going on for quite a while now. It started off happening once in a blue moon, then it got really bad.

First, to describe the problem. I put the key into the ignition, and when I turn to start it, I can hear the starter clicking, but it won't turn at all. Just a click and thats it, even if i hold it the key to the start positon. Sometimes the car starts with no problems (majority of the time actually). Sometimes i will continually turn the key really quickly and after a few clicks it fires up, no problem.

At first, i was sure it was the starter contacts, so I took it to a shop to have them rebuilt. Things appeared to work great for a couple weeks, then boom! problem came again. As I experienced this problem more, I noticed that at times, if i turned the key, it wouldnt immediately do anything, like a split second lag, before it would start. Most of the time tho, when it wouldnt start I would just get my infamous starter clicking sound.

My next step was figuring i has shitty battery connections, because i did. So i got new terminals and sautuered (sp?) the connections. Didn't do shit! Took battery back to autozone, got a new one replacement for free. Still did it.

Now i figured it must be my connections, either a ground or the actual connection from the battery to the starter. I used this as an excuse to relocate my battery to the rear. I used HIGH quality 1/0 guage wire, got a good solid ground, great connections throughout and relocated the battery and got it all hooked up (it's nice having that extra space :D). Well guess what, problem still exists.

I'm running out of ideas here people! help, please!

BTW, starter has been tested and is fine. Battery is new. Connections on the battery and grounds are all new and done very nicely.

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
nope! it's an automatic. I'm going to be doing a swap pretty soon though, I have the tranny sitting at my house. The automatic is kinda fubar now as it is, so I don't know if that could somehow be related? seems unlikely, but with this car I dont know.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I didnt' read all of your thread. I've got that whole ADD thing going. It could be your alarm and it also could be in your ignition switch itself. I've heard supras are bad about the ignition switch going out. Good luck.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
suprahero said:
I've heard supras are bad about the ignition switch going out. Good luck.

I've heard the same thing. I actually have the same problem. I read somewhere that they called it "hot start" or something like that. It doesn't really bother me anymore. I just crank it over and over really fast and after a few, it turns over.

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
Any info, or links to this hotstart? It is really embarrassing clicking the car over and over to get it to start. I'd like to fix it, hah

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Search...There is a lot of stuff on starting issues. I'll see if I can do some research and hopefully be able to get mine fixed too.

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
Well i just tried starting the car in gear and it won't start, but it is definetly a different clicking noise. I can hear a clicking from the fuse box where the passenger is, which i believe would be the starter relay. When my car is having the problem, I can hear both the starter relay clicking and the starter itself clicking, but nothing after that. This morning I went to start the car and noticed it took a full second and a half of having the key in the start position and holding it before it fired up.

I also forgot to mention one very big thing. Whenever the car won't start and the starter is clicking, jumping the car DOES work, as if my battery is drained. That was why I was so sure it was a battery wiring issues.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Lol my old red car had the exact same problem. I know how embarrasing it is. It used to work for me if I hit the starter with something. Unfortunately, I never found the problem. I ended up junking the car.

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
I found a thread about creating a second starter relay to relieve the stress on the weak little wire that goes to the starter solenoid now.

If it works, I'll let you guys know the outcome, and post some pictures of the how-to to better explain it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I had this problem with my 90T and I inadvertently fixed it by replacing the engine ground strap.

It's likely either that, or your starter solenoid is shot.

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
Supracentral said:
I had this problem with my 90T and I inadvertently fixed it by replacing the engine ground strap.

It's likely either that, or your starter solenoid is shot.

We talking about that wire that is below the intake plenum? It connects from the negative battery terminal to the side of the engine, right?

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
jetjock said:
How can such a simple circuit be so difficult to diagnose? I suggest you get a meter and learn how to use it. Assuming it's not the starter a simple voltage drop test will instantly find the source of the problem.

Are you always so rude when addressing those unfortunate enough to not have your level of expertise?

BeachHead

Mar 18, 2007
Alabama
I got to sit on this for a while, but as of now it appears the starter relay mod worked. The car has been firing up no issues after I installed that relay. That wire that plugs into the starter just isn't suited to that job, but it works the relay just fine.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
BeachHead said:
Are you always so rude when addressing those unfortunate enough to not have your level of expertise?

JJ doesn't "candy coat" his posts. A meter will tell you in a heartbeat...suggest you listen to him and avoid the "lets throw parts at the problem" technique.