An old member has come back....

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Hey everyone! My name is Clay and I have been a member of this forum since April 2005 but went inactive in 2006, now 8 years later I am back! So here's a little story of me and my old Supra....

I had an 89 Pearl White, Turbo, Targa and I LOVED that car, with the exception of the nasty burgandy interior LOL. When I first got the car I learned the hard way and before you know it, the dreaded BHG happened to me. This forum gave me all the information that I needed to do the HG by myself and so much more(like shimming the wastegate...ROOKIE!). Once I fixed the HG problem with my first motor I drove it around like this for a few months until a member by the name of SupraNick(not sure if he is still around or not) but he was getting ready to do one of the very first 2JZGTE swaps into his MA70(i think there were only a handful of people that have done this swap back in 2006) and he was getting ready to sell his low mileage motor and so I bought it off of him and sold the 7M in my car. The motor didn't last very long once it was swapped, maybe like 2 months(lost nearly all compression in cyl #5) so being that i just spent over 2k I couldn't afford it anymore and was forced to sell it and that's when I left the forum and just moved on to other things. Since then I have owned a slew of other cars/motorcycles but no other memory sticks with me the most than owning my 89 Turbo. So here I am, 30 years old and now living in Okinawa, Japan and the first car that I bought when I arrived on island was a 91 Skyline GTR. I thought, "I can own a part of Japanese sports car history", well I had that car for a total of ONE year before getting rid of it, that car has a ridiculous amounts of issues with it... and to fix it...PSSSSHHHH, NO WAY!!!! SO as of 26 Apr 2014 I won a Japanese car auction for a Black 91 JZA70, so here I am ONCE AGAIN.

I know that this forum is FULL of good information! I know that with time, things have changed and people have come and gone...but what is constant is that all of us are willing to share information for the next guy(and tell him to search when he wants to know about the "best exhaust" or "how many washers did you use to shim the wastegate") So for pure nostalgia and for the love of this car, I don't think I will be leaving this forum again anytime soon, if ever. It feels good to be an owner of this car again...but with a different heart this time :)

I know, I know....PICS OF THE CAR OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! I only have an auction picture of it at the moment but this upcoming Friday, she will be here on island and I will have to go to the dealership to take pictures of it for you all. I don't think I take delivery of the car until May 8th as it has to go through a JCI inspection and it needs to be registered. As soon as I get to see it Friday, I will make sure to post them up for you all.

Again, feels good to be back. Thanks.

Clay

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Welcome back its awesome that you can quote everyone here still haha. Have fun with your supra. Do you have any goals yet? P.S. pics or it didnt happen haha

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Very cool. Sounds like you left just before I came into the scene. Give us some pics and let us know what Japanese used auto buying owning is like with a Mk 3!

Sent from my Moto X.

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
maxburn;2002894 said:
Welcome back its awesome that you can quote everyone here still haha. Have fun with your supra. Do you have any goals yet? P.S. pics or it didnt happen haha

Yeah man, I think the most common question back then being asked is, "I hear a waterfall type of noise behind my dash, what does that mean and is that bad?" so everything 7M related is still pretty fresh, now that I'm going to have a 1JZ...I don't know too much about...hence why I'm doing as much searching as I can to be informed of all its common problems and all that stuff.

As for goals, right now I just want to do basic stuff...you know...BPU stuff. I will probably start to save money once I start getting power hungry and want more out of the 1J. I was super close to buying a Turbo A with really low miles but I didn't want to go back to the 7M(try something different) plus I know the JZ family is a lot more reliable out of the box than the 7M.

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Well, if that's the case you know what we always say around here. Pics or banned! So get those pictures up! Welcome back btw :D

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Welcome back.. your a bit before my time as well.

Everytime I think of Japan I think of Nuclear reactors quietly melting down while we sit here and fix our cars.. oblivious to it...

Just curious if there is a background nervousness on your part being there.. :)

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Thanks for the welcome back. I should be seeing my car today once they get it from the port to the shop. I can't wait to check her out.

So far Japan is awesome, some people wouldn't call Okinawa "real Japan" but I still feel like I get the Japanese culture being down here.

So don't ban me yet, the pictures will be coming soon :)

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Okay so as promised, here are the pictures of my car.

It was stuck at the port for a few days due to a Japanese holiday called Golden Week. During that week everything is practically shut down. So when the boat arrived to the port is the day Golden Week started.

I won't get the car till Friday(which is tomorrow for me) since the car still needs to get a JCI done(Japanese inspection) and it needs to be registered.

Once I get the car in my hands I'll take more pictures. So far from what I can see, it has an aftermarket exhaust, air filter, wheels and Tein coilovers. I did get to turn the car on to see how she sounds and it purrs. The exhaust is nice and quiet at idle but once your rev her up, she gets loud. Friday can't get here soon enough.

asada4yg.jpg
y3aby5yr.jpg
bedyruze.jpg
satazehe.jpg
guhypu3u.jpg

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
You got a 2.5GT Limited? Those are the only ones I know of that came with a targa. Im surprised its not a hardtop, since those are so common.

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I'm not sure if I did or not. I'll have to ask the guy who bought the car for me about that. My owners manual is in Japanese, as well as all the paperwork with the car. I also found out that I'm the second owner of this car, which is pretty awesome.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
The car looks clean, nice find. Is it weird driving on the other side of the road? I'm assuming you are from the US originally?

maxburn;2004610 said:
that car looks awesome man. I didn't know jdm models didn't have Digital environmental controls

I think Australian and maybe European models didn't get them either.

Rollus;2004617 said:
Nice story, Awsome car.
Maxburn, I can see HVAC control is in °C. I think the digital controls were only for °F

Grandavi;2004653 said:
I think the US is the only country with F isn't it?

Probably, I don't understand why we don't use the metric system, it's so much easier. Didn't Canadian models get the digital climate controls in Celsius to answer Rollus's question?

Bo0sTADiKT;2004658 said:
I'm not sure if I did or not. I'll have to ask the guy who bought the car for me about that. My owners manual is in Japanese, as well as all the paperwork with the car. I also found out that I'm the second owner of this car, which is pretty awesome.

That's even better.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bo0sTADiKT;2004658 said:

all you need is the firewall model code to tell you.