An honest should I buy this car thread

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
There is an 88' targa in the city. I looked at it and it has a big dent on the roof panel right behind the targa, and surface rust along the front between the windshield and targa, but that should sand fairly well. It's an automatic non turbo, but in decent shape otherwise. He'll take $300 canadian, but I was hoping for $200 or $100. Is this car worth buying at all? It also needs the differential replaced, as it gets quite loud when driving.
eric

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
i would i wished i could find another supra at a price like that the ones here are rusted through and there still asking 1000+ its insance i got lucky picked mine up for 800 no rust not even in the tire well. the guy didnt know what he had either

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Stretch;1466970 said:
There is an 88' targa in the city. I looked at it and it has a big dent on the roof panel right behind the targa, and surface rust along the front between the windshield and targa, but that should sand fairly well. It's an automatic non turbo, but in decent shape otherwise. He'll take $300 canadian, but I was hoping for $200 or $100. Is this car worth buying at all? It also needs the differential replaced, as it gets quite loud when driving.
eric

As a purely financial decision, you can likely part it out for far more than $300...

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
True, I considered that aspect. I had hoped to build it up. The rear wheel wells are quite good for a canadian car, and I do hope to perform an engine swap in a year or so depending on finances (I believe there is no replacement for displacement) so no M or JZ series swaps ;). If more of you guys think it would be worth it, I just might have to do it :icon_razz. I just wanted to save this car, as he said he will call one of those junker places that offer a couple hundred and have it taken soon if nobody wants; he needs the driveway space.
The targa leaks, and it infact leaked on him during the test drive. Not a big deal I think as they all leak until the seals are replaced correct? When it leaked, I just laughed inside, as it brought back the memories of my first supra :icon_bigg.
eric

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have an open diff that I'd gladly give you for 10 bucks plus shipping if you just want it roadworthy...

For a couple hundred, I'd say its worthwhile if you have the space and time.

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If I get the car I'll consider your offer ;). The only problem would be shipping costs as I'm located in Toronto, Canada and you are in Colorado :(.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
So the concensus is to buy it? I was expecting a lot of hate due to it being an automatic non turbo, but nobody said anythig hah! It has a big bash on the top panel behind the targa, from a tree, and rust in front of the targa on the windscreen surround, but still buy? Those things, along with the diff could be fixed, but I just wanted to make sure it would be worth it.
eric