Amsoil 5W-40

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
jdub;1065854 said:
Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic; it's a Grp III hydrocracked dino oil. If you decide to go with a Grp III, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is a much better choice.

I have read this numerous times, but what i don't understand is what exactly about it makes it a less superior oil compared to a "true synthetic"? Does it not have the same additives because it isn't a "true synthetic", does it not lubricate as well? I constantly hear Mobil 1 being called out for not being a true synthetic, but what are the obvious disadvantages to that, is what my question is, basically.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
wiseco7mgt;1158533 said:
Why are wix filters good? If you going to the trouble of finding the highest quality oils for your car why not just use a K&N high peformance oil filter to match?

And what makes a K&N filter good? How about a Mobil 1 filter? Canton anyone?

My point is you need to take a look at how a filter is constructed and what media is used for the filter element. There are other considerations as well. You just can't waltz in and say "just use a K&N high performance oil filter" based on what? Your opinion? Read this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

K&N is a decent filter, but is expensive for what you get. I'll stick with my Wix filters ;)

CyFi6;1158544 said:
I have read this numerous times, but what i don't understand is what exactly about it makes it a less superior oil compared to a "true synthetic"? Does it not have the same additives because it isn't a "true synthetic", does it not lubricate as well? I constantly hear Mobil 1 being called out for not being a true synthetic, but what are the obvious disadvantages to that, is what my question is, basically.

If you want an in depth answer, you'll have to dig it up on your own...not going to write a 5 page essay here ;)

Basically, synthetic base stock oil has uniform size molecules in it's make-up. Better film thickness, viscosity range, and flow characteristics are a few of the benefits. Hydrocracking is a an effort to do do basically the same thing, but look at it "in reverse". Synthetic oil is "built", hydrocracked oil is "cut down" from crude oil to get similar results. The results are going to depend on how many passes and how precise the hydrocracking process is...in any case, you will still have molecules of different sizes in the base stock. It's the nature of the beast...it's up to you if you want to run the best or something less than.

What does make a difference is the additive package, especially on a hydrocracked "synthetic". This is the #1 reason I like Pennzoil Platinum...the add pack is superior. Plus the hydrocracking process Shell uses (Shell makes Pennzoil) is very good at producing the uniform molecules I talked about...better that what Exxon does.

Mobil 1 was a PAO based synthetic oil...Exxon switched to a hydrocracked base several years ago (without telling anyone) in an effort to cut cost. Keep in mind this is a corporation that has posted the highest profit on the planet of any corporation. By switching to a cheaper base stock, they helped increase their profit margin. So if you want to support a lying, greedy, price gouging organization run by people with no morals or integrity, keep buying Exxon Mobil products...I'm sure the Exxon executives will play a hole of golf just for you ;)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im now wondering about a whole other arena. The 1mz engine is fairly commonly known for having sludge issues. I have a friend that is going to be using a brand new rebuilt 1mz engine in his mr2 and from many pictures i have seen, mobil 1 oil tends to keep engines sparkling clean. Do you have any idea what additives in the mobil 1 oil are responsible for keeping the engines so clean? And are there other oils out there that are just as good at this/better? I have run mobil 1 in my car once so far and have already seen things getting cleaner and varnish getting lighter. His main concern is keeping the sludge out of his engine.

On a side note, do you know what exactly it is that causes certain engines to be more prone to sludge problems?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You seem pretty determined to use Mobil 1 oils. I have already told you what was better...use what you like.

PAO and ester synthetics will remove deposits and keep a motor very clean...better than a hydrocracked Grp III oil. It's the base oil, not the additives...and, I've told you what oils have a better additive package than Mobil 1. Judging from your questions, it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Sludge problems are a result of motor design IMO.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I understand what you are saying, and im not determined to use Mobil 1. I have a friend that insists Mobil 1's detergent package is very good, and i can agree with that. Out of other oils used Mobil 1 seems to keep engines very clean. He is more concerned with keeping sludge out of his motor than having a "true synthetic".I have seen you write that other oils have "better" additive packages, but better in what sense? Maybe the detergents in other oils are less superior but viscosity additives etc are less superior in Mobil 1?

What is it in the PAO and Ester synthetics that actually do the cleaning?

I understand what you say about sludge being a result of motor design, but what i dont understand is what part of the design makes it so prone to sludge? Does it have to do with clearances or excessive fuel dilution or something like that?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CyFi6;1164413 said:
I understand what you are saying, and im not determined to use Mobil 1. I have a friend that insists Mobil 1's detergent package is very good, and i can agree with that. Out of other oils used Mobil 1 seems to keep engines very clean. He is more concerned with keeping sludge out of his motor than having a "true synthetic".I have seen you write that other oils have "better" additive packages, but better in what sense? Maybe the detergents in other oils are less superior but viscosity additives etc are less superior in Mobil 1?

Time for you to do your own research.

Superior across the board...especially in anti-wear additives. Mobil 1 is a middle of the road oil sold at a high price. You can "believe" what you want as to what Mobil 1 "seems" to do. If you're going to use a hydrocracked Grp III oil, Pennzoil Platinum is superior across every measure...additives and base stock oil. Feel free to prove me wrong ;)

CyFi6 said:
What is it in the PAO and Ester synthetics that actually do the cleaning?

One more time...the PAO or Ester itself. That's the beauty about the true synthetics, the base oil requires very few additives to hold in viscosity range and keep the motor clean.

CyFi6 said:
I understand what you say about sludge being a result of motor design, but what i dont understand is what part of the design makes it so prone to sludge? Does it have to do with clearances or excessive fuel dilution or something like that?

A synthetic oil will not sludge (regardless of brand)...if you want to know more, Google is your friend.

I will say this: The brand of oil is a lot less important than the viscosity you choose. What you want is the lowest 1st # you can get with a 2nd # that meets engine ops requirements. For the 7M and JZ series motors (moderate mods) that is a 0W or 5W-30. It's different for other engines...modern Honda motors are designed to run a 5W-20 for example, but a 0W-20 would work just as well or better. You have to refer to the owners manual to get the idea and go from there.