American-only hours at Bellingham Costco

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
If you haven't heard the story already http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-facebook-campaign-for-americanonly-hours-at-bellingham-costco-stirs-heated-debate-page-shut-down-20120816,0,1586758.story

I think this is absolute stupidity! Sure I understand where they are coming from, but its not Canadians fault its Costco's problem. The way I see it is that they are card carrying members of Costco just like anyone else. If anything they are helping our economy. Whats next American only "food"? I thought we were over discrimination in America?

Here is the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellingham-Costco-needs-a-special-time-just-for-Americans/152699958200765

Cliff Notes: Canadians shop at Costco, Some residents of the city want " Americans Only " time because of long lines, traffic, and lack of product that they blame on Canadians.

Sorry for the rant, it just pisses me off.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
garagefujimoto;1866840 said:
News Flash : Without cross-border shoppers, Bellingham WA would be a ghost town only worthy of a train whistle and a Circle K

Maybe the best thing Canadians can do is make Bellingham a ghost town. Then Costco and other businesses will be begging for Canadians to come back.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Face... meet Palm. You two are gonna be gooooood friends around Bellingham...

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Better yet did any one read the page. I live in the next town south and it is incredible hard to drive in town during Canadian holidays. Canadians drivers are rude ignorant assholes when they drive down here. Just yesterday I was tailgated by an asshole in a Dakota towing a trailer up Interstate 5, dick head doing 80 in a 60 towing a 25ft camper. No one mentions the people that toss their garbage in the parking lot so they don't have to pay duty. The taxes they don't pay. The traffic accidents the get into cause they don't know where they are going.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
But the people are asshole cause they want to be able to shop in stores locally. Bit that is besides the point . The point is Whatcom County where Bellingham is located needs to take the business taxes and revamp its infrastructure and allow the bigger shopping centers more room to expand. To allow for more not less shoppers. The facebook page is silly, but the point behind it isn't.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Implying "American only" hours is going to stop any of that. Not all Canadian's do that shit, and almost all of you described is illegal so let the cops sort it out and your formerly going bankrupt county can rake in even more revenue.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Stop being ignorant , the face book page is attempting to bring to light a lack of infrastructure in Whatcom county in addition to the county not allowing Costco to expand. In Skagit and Snohomish counties the same business are twice the size and have parking. Since my last post I went and got teriyaki from a place in a strip mall next to a costco. We were one of three patrons . The parking lot was full of Canadians and there was plenty of room. Every one in this post needs to stop reading into shit and see it for what it is. Some shoppers are douche bags on both sides of the borders. The stores need to expand or move to satisfy its customer from both countries and the local government needs to support its business.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Don't tell me to be "stop being ignorant", when you're waffling on the issue. You post 3 messages one after another in a 10 minute span starting mostly shooting off about how bad Canadians are, and now you say that's not what you meant at all?

And if this is primarily about restricted infrastructure (which was brought up as a minor point when I originally saw this in the news prior to being posted here) why is it that every article on it including yourself primarily shoots off about the Canadian tourists? Then brings the infrastructure issue in after the fact so you don't sound like complete and out assholes?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
First I am expressing my personal feeling towards most Canadians in my country, which my Canadian friends share.
Second I am explaining the point of view of the people that made the FB page. Both of which are not mutually inclusive.
Third are you foolish enough to believe the profit/ratings driven media on this? The media has run away with this and made it the new Arizona. You are being ignorant. Join the face book page and read the comments. Better yet listen to 92.9 KiSM tomorrow morning. The founder of the page is gonna be on it.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
So what you're saying is they're trying to use the american only hours thing because its more of a media lightning rod than the simple and actual issue of infrastructure limitations?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Yes , I am saying that the title of the Facebook page is meant to grab attention. much like Salman Rushdie did with the Satanic verses. If it stated the truer intention no one would have payed attention to it or the issues it addresses as evidenced by the situation in the first place.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
mattsplat72;1867097 said:
Better yet did any one read the page. I live in the next town south and it is incredible hard to drive in town during Canadian holidays. Canadians drivers are rude ignorant assholes when they drive down here. Just yesterday I was tailgated by an asshole in a Dakota towing a trailer up Interstate 5, dick head doing 80 in a 60 towing a 25ft camper.

I'd rather have Canadians than the asshole garbage people from Chicago that plug the interstates here every Fri and Sun heading to the Wisconsin Dells. However, I am happy they spend all their money here and that their wives and daughters are generally fairly slutty and easy to pick up while on vacation.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
the last thing we need to be doing in bitching about each other shopping at one anothers stores. Sure yes right now that the dollar is close to par, there are many canadians shopping in the USA. How quick everyone is to forget that when US dollar was worth $1.65 canadian that our stores were full of Americans shopping here. Its where they get the most bang for their buck deal with it we are all trying to feed our families.