Am I the only one who thinks that electric fans are a downgrade?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I have seen burned fan relays, melted wiring jobs, seized up fan motors, fans with no thermostatic switch or speed control, engines that overheat because the electric fans don't pull enough air, and a bunch of other problems.....

A good old clutch fan will keep your engine cool while driving through Death valley at high noon in the middle of summer with the AC blasting, so why downgrade your cooling system with an electric fan?

The only fans I would even consider are the Spal dual fans, those are at least decent when used with their PWM fan speed controller.

I was just wondering what you guys think about this subject?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree. This is the reason I changed out the electric fans I was planning to run on my 7M back to the stock fan clutch setup before I started the engine for the first time. This is also another reason I am getting the 1JZ fan blade and clutch from you in my next order along with a Koyo radiator because I really hate electric fans. They won't move enough air on a hot day when you will be pushing the car.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
what about OEM fans off bigger cars? Anybody looked at a corvette's fan?
The fan off a dodge viper is a mod TONS of the 3rd gen dodge ram guys do. I haven't seen actual flow test but its supposed to pull north of 4000cfm. The current draw is HUGE though. I cant see a stock alt. lasting. I ran this fan on my old 5.7 ram for 3 years through 100*+ heat. 8+ hours of driving every weekday. On high, it would suck your shirt into the grill from 2-3 feet away.. to be fair, there is nothing infront of the rams radiator. Just open air space with significant grill openings. The ac condenser is offset with its own fans.

The mark 7 fan is another supposed 4000CFm + mover. It wont fit with a fluidyne + ac on a 7m though. too thick.

The aftermarket fans may not have the quality control or strict tolerance levels the oem's do. Are they designed to last 100,000miles+ on millions of cars that roll off the assembly line?

I think the correct sized fan would work just fine, the problem is the guy installing it :)
The infamous mk3 owner mentality seems to be the real issue. Small cheap ebay fans, incorrect wiring, etc.

Ill still take a clutch fan for reliability, simplicity and function though!

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I don't have much problem with newer OE electric fans, like from a Lexus or similar, but I've seen far too many electric fans fail or fail to cool well enough. I stick with my clutch fans usually, unless space is an issue.

Jeff

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
I know a buddy running electric fans off a nissan maxima...he drives it everyday and seems to not have a problem....i love my stock fan works fine...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
bigaaron;1646117 said:
I have seen burned fan relays, melted wiring jobs, seized up fan motors, fans with no thermostatic switch or speed control, engines that overheat because the electric fans don't pull enough air, and a bunch of other problems.....

A good old clutch fan will keep your engine cool while driving through Death valley at high noon in the middle of summer with the AC blasting, so why downgrade your cooling system with an electric fan?

The only fans I would even consider are the Spal dual fans, those are at least decent when used with their PWM fan speed controller.

I was just wondering what you guys think about this subject?

Nope, I've had so many kids tell me electric fans are way better than clutch fans... :/ 2jzgte swap here, still using clutch fan

suprahero;1646224 said:
Hydro fan FTW!!!!!!

This is the only other fan I would run

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
I think it also depends a lot on where you live and how often you drive. Some of you that may use your Supra for DD might not want to go that route unless it just boils down to just space. But for those that just like to get there Supra out on a nice day I don't think its that big of deal. Granted I have not had one take a crap on me yet. If that happens I might change my opinion.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I wired in mine with 8 gauge wires for power and ground. It was also used with a thermostatic controller. I pulled that whole setup out and went to a clutch fan before seeing how it would work because the fan clutch is fool proof when installed right with a working fan clutch and the correct blade.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
I had the electric fan setup and never like the damn thing. It was more of a hassle for the little space it saved me. Stock fan clutch ftw!

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I'm of the school that anything that turns with the motor steals power from the motor, I don't recommend any aftermarket fans, but i've had exceptional luck with oem fans from wrecked camaros and such, that when wired with a tstat controller, relay, and with the right radiator work great. I've used similar setups for 7 differnet motors from a chevy 2.2L to a 572 BBC, not saying it's the best setup for every application, but i plan on converting mine later this year. Just gotta find something that fits well

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Chaingun;1646306 said:
I'm of the school that anything that turns with the motor steals power from the motor, I don't recommend any aftermarket fans, but i've had exceptional luck with oem fans from wrecked camaros and such, that when wired with a tstat controller, relay, and with the right radiator work great. I've used similar setups for 7 differnet motors from a chevy 2.2L to a 572 BBC, not saying it's the best setup for every application, but i plan on converting mine later this year. Just gotta find something that fits well

Just offsets the load to the alternator. Also, if the fan clutch is working correctly it's not causing as much drag as you'd think.

I don't see them as an upgrade or downgrade, they're pointless in 99% of the installs I've seen (stock motor). A properly installed e-fan setup is more expensive than the mechanical fan. The issue is most people put cheap aftermarket e-fans and wire them terribly.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
If you do it correct I don't see any problem however clutch fans do the job. You have to choose the correct fan, correct gauge wiring, correct relays, ect... I am into electronics so I know how to do electrical work professional and proper. I have mine hooked up with 10 gauge wire, a 60 amp relay triggered by the ignition relay, and Using a Ford Taurus fan on high speed which keeps the temps at 175F in this 40-50 degree weather and 195 in the 115 degree heat during the summer..

The ford taurus fan on low speed is sufficient for the winter and high during city driving in the summer.. I have been using this same setup for 6 months without one overheating problem with the wiring or relay.. As long as its rated to take it, it will be fine. The tuarus fan covers the whole radiator and fits perfect like it was made to be! I got mine at the junk yard for 25.00

p1646343_1.jpg

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I would consider it a downgrade simply based on the complexity of the system. The number of possible failure points, even on a well designed system is still considerably higher than a comparable mechanical solution. We have the ability to run a mechanical fan on our cars, most cars these days do not, I consider that a positive in out favor.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Devin LeBlanc;1646343 said:
If you do it correct I don't see any problem however clutch fans do the job. You have to choose the correct fan, correct gauge wiring, correct relays, ect... I am into electronics so I know how to do electrical work professional and proper. I have mine hooked up with 10 gauge wire, a 60 amp relay triggered by the ignition relay, and Using a Ford Taurus fan on high speed which keeps the temps at 175F in this 40-50 degree weather and 195 in the 115 degree heat during the summer..

The ford taurus fan on low speed is sufficient for the winter and high during city driving in the summer.. I have been using this same setup for 6 months without one overheating problem with the wiring or relay.. As long as its rated to take it, it will be fine. The tuarus fan covers the whole radiator and fits perfect like it was made to be! I got mine at the junk yard for 25.00

p1646350_1.jpg

Using an unsealed relay like that in the engine bay will result in this:

P1000658.JPG

Unless, of course, you don't drive in the rain.