Am i running rich?

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
went to the dyno today, here are the results.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

torque is pretty nice, boost is at about 9 or 10 psi. (stock boost gauge, shame on me :nono: )

running rich i think, im using a cone filter which is blocking part of the afm surface area so i think the air is flowing fast and fooling the car into thinking more air is entering than actually is. anyone have any ideas about this?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
looks about right for the mods and stock fuel maps.
altho, it is a hard bit to read the a/f with the numbers right over top of it.

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
lol, yea, i was watching the meter on the comp and most of the time it was showing 10, which can be 10 or less, id like it at 11.5 at wot but maybe thats too lean.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
jamesdem1123 said:
lol, yea, i was watching the meter on the comp and most of the time it was showing 10, which can be 10 or less, id like it at 11.5 at wot but maybe thats too lean.

nope, 11.5 is pretty close to perfect. makes good power and really reliable.

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
dbsupra90 said:
nope, 11.5 is pretty close to perfect. makes good power and really reliable.

ok kool, now what would be the best way to tune it, maybe have a tube from filter bypass the afm or what(air entering the engine without being metered=not adding as much fuel)?

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
koulee said:
Thats it?

:icon_cry: unfortunately. although im graduating soon and my mom is buying me a down pipe and a flowmaster, i dont want a rice pipe, im goin with a 50 series, not too loud, not too quiet.

also in the works in the works is a nigger rigged (pardon my 20th century american..) alcohol injection system

heres a diagram of alcohol injection system
sm_photo_missing.jpg

here is the pump and nozzle, nozzle is fitted into prass fittings to b able to screw out and change as it gets dirty

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
well its not my fault for the racist meaning of the word, the original meaning is "a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons". per se i dont have the money to buy an aqua mist so i am at a disadvantage and must find an alternative means of rigging up an injection system. but i wont use that term anymore sense it offended you.

enough about that, any comments on the alcohol system?
i think itll work due to the equal amount of pressure on each side of the nozzle when the pump is not running; and, when the pump is running, there will be greater pressure in the tubing connecting the nozzle to the pump so therefore the fluid will flow through the nozzle.

how well it works who knows, im just experimenting.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I see two basic problems.

1. When the engine enters vacuum it is possible for it to suck the water/alcohol solution directly from the bleed tub. You also will need a perfectly sealed bottle that can handle the PSI levels you are going to run your turbo at.

2. I'm not sure the Windshield washer pump will provide enough pressure to correctly atomize the water/alcohol mixture. The purpose of water/alcohol is to chemically intercool the intake charge, and control detonation, and to do this best, the water/alcohol will need to be turned in to as fine of a mist as possible to perform best. The companies who make these professionally suggest 50psi with the appropriate nozzle.

Also there won't be much need for this at the boost levels your running. The stock intercooler is more than enough right now to keep the engine out of detonation.

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
i think u might be right about the vacuum possible sucking the fluid in. i think i might use a 3 inch pvc pipe for a resevoir, it wont change volume at vaccum/boost so it wont suck as much during vaccum i was planning on only running it at 8 psi and up with a boost pressure switch, and after i get my exhaust and boost gauge i was planning on trying for 14 psi. Ive also thought about buying one of the aqua mist sytems and running the alcohol/water and getting rid of the intercooler altogether, reducing boost lag. (less volume to fill and no restriction as with an intercooler)