Am I missing something? Hopefully simple.

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
So I finally got the mechanics of the swap done on Sunday; hoses, fluids, wires, fuel. Tried to crank it and...nothing. Not even a click at the starter. The headlamps work, but the blinkers don't. The climate control and windows don't work either.

The car was originally an N/A automatic. Now it's a 5spd. The wiring harness is from the JDM 5spd, as well as the computer. Is there something like a neutral safety switch or clutch switch that I need to bypass before it will crank. I am hoping it's something simple like this, otherwise I will have to start diagnosing the wiring. Where should I start if I DO have to start going through the wiring? I'm thinking I should start with the jumper harnesses to the dash wiring. Does this hold the circuit for the ignition switch?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am finally sooo close and I just want to get this done!!!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
there is a neutral safety switch, but im unsure how to get around it.

i swapped the harness from my 87 5spd into my 86.5 to get around the neutral switch

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Bigzavs;945222 said:
there is a neutral safety switch, but im unsure how to get around it.

i swapped the harness from my 87 5spd into my 86.5 to get around the neutral switch

As I said, the engine harness and computer are both from the JDM 5 spd. Unless the Neutral switch is a part of the body harness from the Auto. If so, I need someone to point me in the right direction. I read something about a big connector by the starter, I looked and looked and couldn't find a connector that matched that description near the starter.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
IIRC, when I did mine, There is a big square connector (like 8-10 wires) that goes to the auto tranny (there is a grouping of plugs together). You have to hook 2 of those wires together. It's something like a white wire and a black wire, or black wire and a black wire with white stripe. I can't remember for the life of me though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There IS a bypass connector for the Manual Trans from memory it's a round plug and the wires are Black/Blue (a bit foggy if it's black with a blue trace or the other way around)

If that's not in place no starter.

"D" here
Main_038.gif

Connector D on this pic.
Main_039.gif

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I know when I put my 1jz in, I had to do what I posted up there. It is something that you have to jump on the 1jz engine harness.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Andy: Not sure if they changed the plug on the NSS for the 1J harness/trans but wouldn't surprise me.

Troy: Sorry for the bum steer.
(it'll be the same issue just on a different plug)

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Good call, didn't occur to me that they use the same A340e tranny. It was my "dee dee dee" moment. Carry on.

I just know it is a decently sized square plug.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
If the car was auto before, and you have removed the auto shifter I assume, there will be no more wiring done to start the car. The rest is up to the wiring under the dash, in the big square connector to start the car. This is also asuming that the harness for the 1jz was from a 5 speed.

All the neutral safety stuff left when you took the transmission out and the shifter along with the 7M engine harness.

Also once you installed the clutch pedal, you wont need to push the clutch in to start the car. The Auto body harness doesn't have that wiring under the clutch pedal for the CSS. make sure the car is not in gear when you start it.

Troyota

Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
soapra: So, you are saying that the fact that the harness and tranny and everything is from a 5spd car, there is nothing stopping me from being able to start the car. My issue is either in the wiring of the EA2 connector or as I suspect in the jumper harnesses for my dash wiring. Am I correct in my interpretation of your post?