Always use jack stands!!!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yeah. My buddy will occasionally slide under the car when it's just under the jack.
"it's just real quick"
"so will your death be if you're lucky"
then i slide him a jackstand

A

ArthurRitus

My 70 year old neighbor died last year when his corola fell on him, crushing his chest. always use jackstands

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Sawbladz said:
I had a friend crushed to death under his car...he was using a good hydraulic jack. Smarten the fuck up:3d_frown:

Easy... Easy!!

Simmer down!

Remember sarcasm doesn't travel well over the Internet. I think he was kidding.

Don't turn this thread into a flame war folks.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Me too. I don't get it. The guy says he always uses jack stands but clearly doesn't. Then he offers this advice, implying everyone else is as dumb as he is. I'm confused....and offended ;)

The truth is it only takes one time. Just once. And not only for jack stands. It takes the blink of an eye to lose one, have a limb crushed, lose a finger, on and on. The car is full of ways to hurt you. Not to mention it's full of poisons. Your life is filled with things that'll get you. It only takes one time.

tonysupra

Supramania Contributor
Dec 3, 2005
CT
jetjock said:
The truth is it only takes one time. Just once. And Your life is filled with things that'll get you. It only takes one time.

When you said that, I just can't help to think about condoms. :biglaugh:

Anyways, jackstands are like condoms. They might take a little effort to put on, but they're there to protect your dumbass from unwanted things.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
tonysupra said:
When you said that, I just can't help to think about condoms. :biglaugh:

Anyways, jackstands are like condoms. They might take a little effort to put on, but they're there to protect your dumbass from unwanted things.

:biglaugh: Good one

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
only way I can see it not breaking anything is if you were doing this in the yard, not on pavement. Even with stands that is risky.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but I'm getting this picture in my head............Car in grass, or possibly not level, not on jack stands, and hand gripped firmly underneath the rotor...........what were you thinking man???? Even with the brakes off, you could have put the wheel in place with a lug nut or two, and reset your jack.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Whether or not this should be common sense alot of people do it all the time.

I'm paranoid. I keep the jack under the car, still up and touching the car. Not because it'll keep the car from coming down, but because it'll make lifting the car that much quicker for whoever's helping me at the time. I always put any removed wheels under the closest, solid part of the frame that's not completely in the way. The jack stands go one on each side of my body, but not close enough that if they were to fall they'd land on me. I keep blocks on both sides of any wheels that are still touching the ground.

One more important thing: NEVER rely on the e-brake or transmission being in gear to keep the car from moving, whether the ground is level or not.

I've had a car come down on me before. The one jackstand I was using twisted, the jack wasn't under the car ready to lift. The wheel under the rear subframe saved my ass. I didn't come out of it scotch free, but I came out of it. I had a massive bruise across my ribcage (which stung for months) and a cut across my forearm.

Personally, I think it'd be a good idea to put up a sticky with basic safety measures. You all need to remember that, until owning a Supra, alot of the members here have only ever done the most basic of maintenence. Some haven't even done that. So perhaps before we go telling every nooB that shows up to start doing their own work, we should also make sure they understand what precautions they should take to ensure their own safety.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
CRE said:
Whether or not this should be common sense alot of people do it all the time.

I'm paranoid. I keep the jack under the car, still up and touching the car. Not because it'll keep the car from coming down, but because it'll make lifting the car that much quicker for whoever's helping me at the time. I always put any removed wheels under the closest, solid part of the frame that's not completely in the way. The jack stands go one on each side of my body, but not close enough that if they were to fall they'd land on me. I keep blocks on both sides of any wheels that are still touching the ground.

One more important thing: NEVER rely on the e-brake or transmission being in gear to keep the car from moving, whether the ground is level or not.

I've had a car come down on me before. The one jackstand I was using twisted, the jack wasn't under the car ready to lift. The wheel under the rear subframe saved my ass. I didn't come out of it scotch free, but I came out of it. I had a massive bruise across my ribcage (which stung for months) and a cut across my forearm.

Personally, I think it'd be a good idea to put up a sticky with basic safety measures. You all need to remember that, until owning a Supra, alot of the members here have only ever done the most basic of maintenence. Some haven't even done that. So perhaps before we go telling every nooB that shows up to start doing their own work, we should also make sure they understand what precautions they should take to ensure their own safety.

That all makes perfect sense, I think i will adopt these techniques!

And the idea for a safety measures sticky is great too.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
^^I second that. I'm smarter now than i was when i was 16 or 18. And I still need reminders. Looking back, i did some dumb stuff working on my car right when i got it.(16)

Nothing happened, but I still wish someone would have given me the safety 101's for cars.